Questions about downriggers

JimB

Hello, my name is Jim, and I came across this site, and have been very glad I did.  Have already purchased a used net, and sold a boat I had outgrown.

Last fall I purchased an 18' Targa Tracker.  On decent days, it does well on the lake.  I'm in the process of gearing it up to recreational fish for trout in the spring and fall, and salmon through the summer.

I already have planer boards, planer mast, rod holders, etc. for spring fishing the browns.

My big question is regarding down riggers.   I will most likely only make 5-10 fishing trips a season that I would have a need for them, so I'm looking to buy used.

Quick list of questions:

Do I even bother with electric rigs, or just plan on manual.   44 years old, so a little cranking now and then won't kill me.

Are all downriggers bases a universal size?  The side rails of the boat are 4.5" wide, and are aluminum.  Will most bases fit this space, including swivel mounts?

If bases do fit, should I plan on using some kind of backing material (plywood, stock steel etc) to reinforce the side rails where the riggers would be mounted.

I'm only looking to set up two down riggers.  

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.   I don't want to buy something that just doesn't work on my boat.

Welcome to the site Jim.  (We related?)

Manual rigg'rs will probably be fine for a youngster like you.  If you go electric make sure your engine puts out the current required to haul them up.  No matter which rigg'rs you get, put a fairly thick aluminum backer plate under the side rail.  Dragging a cannonball puts a lot of stress on the rails.  If you can cut a piece of wood, then you can cut aluminum.  Use at least 1/4" thick.  Call the Klein outlet store on Lyell Ave if you don't have access to any. 

Tom B.

(LongLine)

p.s. you may want to consider installing a removable board across the back of the boat.  There great for mouting other stuff on...rod holders etc.