Sliders on your riggers question.

Fixed sliders stay put the free sliders usually stay in that belly of the line.   Moving the rigger up and down dosen't bother them, till you bring it all the way up.

I've used sliders since the 70's and the free ranging  sliders have always worked best but as Dave has said they do usually stay in the belly of the line (but on turns they seem to ride up a bit). I usually put my first lure (attached to the release) down 10-20 ft (depending on how shallow water it is too) and then I add the slider to my line  on an 8 ft leader with a small flutter spoon and run them down to where I want them. Most of the time you will want the leader shorter than your rod (my downrigger rods are 8 1/2 ft.) so you can net the fish easily unless you're into hand lining them :)  If you run heavier spoons there is more of a chance of  a tangle on turns or at very slow speeds (or if your other downrigger is close to it). Most of the time rainbows or landlocks or small browns (or a crazy smallmouth) will be the ones that hit it. When you pop your downrigger (or better yet if a fish does it) the slider slides down to the swivel of your other lure and extends past it. Most of the time you won't be tangled but it can happen....especially if you have used a stick bait on one of them :)

Edited by Sk8man

Not really any different methodology in raising or lowering your rigger with sliders as compared to just running a single lure on 1 rod.

If you are running a free slider, one that is not fixed to keep it from sliding up and down the mainline, the depth of the slider will very depending on depth of rigger, water speed at the lure, and how well the downrigger rod is loaded (how much slack line you have crank onto the reel after your set the rigger).  The problem with a free slider is that if you catch a fish on it, it's hard to pin point where that lure was in the water column, or where it is running in your team of lures, and therefore is hard to repeat.

A fixed slider is one that is, in one manner or another, fixed onto the mainline at a certain distance from the downrigger ball, for example 10 feet above the release.  Because it does not slide freely up and down the main line of the rod, it will always be in a fixed position above your rigger ball, whether your raise it up or down.  The method is also very repeatable, as it's position in your team of lures is controlable, and predictable. 

Hope this helps

OH!!  another thing If you have a fish on the mainline and the slider , net the rear fish first.  Thats the one on the slider than net the one on the mainline.    Happens a lot on Cayuga with the landlocks .  Would love to have it happen with Kings!!

Edited by Big Dave

OH!!  another thing If you have a fish on the mainline and the slider , net the rear fish first.  Thats the one on the slider than net the one on the mainline.    Happens a lot on Cayuga with the landlocks .  Would love to have it happen with Kings!!

I'll keep that one in mind Dave! :yes:  :yes:

This can happen when fishing for kings and there are lakers in the mix.  You'll get a laker on the mainline and you won't be able to know it's there, then a king will take the slider, and then take the laker for a ride.  Makes for an interesting battle.

I've run both fixed and free sliders for fixed I use adalines a little u shaped plastic pc. That works well also roamer makes one called a liberator I think . 28s and 4ds work well on fixed sliders . Sometimes small fish won't release the liberator not big deal good luck! Cdq's dad.