Storing tackle, reels and poles

InTheBox

Hello,

i sold my boat last year and going to buy a smaller one next year. in the meantime what is the best way to store tackle, reels and poles so they dont rust etc. should i oil the reels? tackle would it be ok to leave them in the tackle boxes with mositer absorbers?

thanks for any input.

Pat

If you can store them in your cellar or inside somewhere where the temperature is fairly constant and it is not humid that would be the preferred place. If not and in an unheated garage I'd say hang them up horizontally fully extended lengthwise on the inside wall if you can on hooks (like those in perforated board) and you could put large zip lock bags over the reels and use rubber band to secure them. Wherever you store them (inside or out) make sure to back off the drags on the reels. I would wait to oil them or otherwise service them until just before you use them if stored outside as the new grease or oil may set up on them. Don't put them away wet in any case. The tackle should be OK "as is" if the tackle boxes are dry and water resistant and kept out of direct exposure to the elements and direct sunlight beating down on them....same for line on reels avoid direct sunlight on them (e.g. from windows etc.). Good luck!

Excellent advice! And should you decide to rinse them off before you store them, tighten the drags down tight so dirt or salt doesn't penetrate them. Use gentle pressure from a hose or faucet to prevent the same. Never submerse in water or the bearings will rust quickly. I just replaced a $ 22.00 bearing in one of my levelwinds. And definately heed Sk8man's advice to dry thoroughly and back off the drags before storing.

I have storage "bags", most of them belonged to shotguns before. The ones with handles, they arehung below the ceiling ib my garage.

I usually before dissassemble mine before storage and pack them with ball bearing grease.

You might also use jars, but might have a problem locating ones that are four feet plus :P

With tackle boxes careful of any soft plastics coming into contact with other plastic.  I had a few loose ones melt into the tray of the tackle box after one winter of storage.  Not high on the priority list but it does cause a mess.

With tackle boxes careful of any soft plastics coming into contact with other plastic.  I had a few loose ones melt into the tray of the tackle box after one winter of storage.  Not high on the priority list but it does cause a mess.

I bought a Lakewood muskie extreme box 2 years ago. in it was a paper warning me that soft plastics could damage the box. I ignored the warning,of course, and next season my bulldawgs,red Octobers,and bondys were welded to the sides of the box. I wrecked the baits getting them out and to this day the dividers in the box are still soft. p.o.s!