Outboard Motor Lock?

EKoselny

Does anyone have any recommendations for an outboard motor lock? I just bought a new kicker motor for the new boat I bought at the end of last summer. The guy I bought the boat from had the kicker motor stolen, so I want to try to find a good lock for the new motor.

Thanks for any info!!

It's the right thing to do. Go to a boat/motor dealer in your area and you will be able to find something that will work on your motor.

Too bad you wern't at the LOTSA flea market last Feb. I had two different models for sale there, cheap.

I have a merc. 9.9 and the thumb screws that clamp the engine to the mount has holes for a lock to go threw.  I used one of these master locks on it but also threw bolted the engine on the mount to slow the theft down. The thumb screws are some sort of cast material and a hammer could break them pretty easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-1523D-Set-Your-Own-Combination/dp/B0009V1WMU

I use a long shaft padlock through the eye holes in the clamps (holesaligned first) but.....I remember a long time ago at the Seneca Lake State Park they had boats docked there for the season and someone used a saw of some kind to take a trolling motor (maybe doing so from a boat?)  by cutting a section out of the transom and taking the motor     so I guess maybe the locking device no matter how strong isn't always the total answer anyway but prevents the rapid "casual" type of stealing> For me it is mainly a preventative of the clamps unraveling while speeding down the lake and the motor being deep sixed. :)

Best theft deterrent at the house is a German shepherd with a doghouse and your boat inside an invisible fence. Sign on the boat at the transom says you have 3 seconds left to leave unscathed...too late if they read slow. At the marina, you are out of luck, nothing will stop a determined thief. They don't care what they destroy to remove the motor or electronics. Locks are good for honest folks staying honest, that is about it. I really try to avoid leaving my boat at the marina overnight. A boat in the marina is like a car with the windows down in a parking lot anywhere.

If your guard dog likes to fish and he can control himself, let him stay onboard overnight. Best sleep you will get. :)

A determined thief WILL take your possessions. A typical, spur of the momment or opportunist person, is likely to move on and not take the temptation if your have made it difficult for him. Kickers are light enough that most can lift from transom and carry it away. The concept is to make it necessary to require tools to remove the unit. Most do not have tools with them.

A $20-$30 lock over, or through, the clamps will do this. Make it difficult for them. That motor is vunerable to theft anywhere the boat is located, unless you are with the boat. A parking lot, marina, your driveway, rest area on the highway, etc. Know of a person who had his lower unit stolen from his boat which was parked at home alonside the house during the winter. It was covered for snow, but in the spring the owner found out about the theft when time came to get it ready for the season. This person was a police detective, by the way, and has dogs for pets at his house. Stolen from a cop at his home! The officer did recover his property, and recovered mine when it also was stolen, but the point is "don't let it be easy to steal".

I use the master lock version posted in a thread above. It rattles at times while trolling but not too bad.

Spike

I used a plastic wire tie to snub it up. Works good,...no rattle ;)