I'm planning to get a Canadian license this spring and make a couple of trips from Wilson over towards St Catherines.  I've been told that when the salmon can't be found at the bar in the early season, you can find them in the Canadians waters.  My question is how far do you typically need to run westward beyond the Niagara?   I've also been told that it is easier tying up in Youngstown than running back to Wilson.  Who do I contact there for an overnight slip?

Thanks,

Doug

Funny you say that.  We say the same thing when the fish aren't at the bar they must be in American waters.  I guess the grass is always greener on the other side "EH".  Fish location changes all the time some days you'll bang em at the Bar, Some days Weller is hot while others it's all the way to Port Dalhousie or Jordan.

good luck

That's what I was going to say about the fishing areas. The only pace to slip the boat is Petroy Marina in Youngstown, if they have the docks in place for when you come up (they are removed for the winter). Word locally is that it has a new owner, Mike Fox (of Fox Fencing in Niagara Falls, NY). He plans to be up and running for the LOC Derby. I don't have a phone number. Launching can be done at Fort Niagara, no overnight parking though.  4 Mile Creek Campground is 4 miles E from the river, but no launch. You'd have to ask local establishments about trailer parking if you need to have lodging. There aren't many in the area.

The river mouth is about 12 miles closer to Canada than Wilson is. The fishing areas mentioned by darkfisher are 10-20 miles West of the River. Not too far when the lake is flat, but very timeconsuming when the waves are up. Also, you need to report to Canadian Customs by phone whenever you enter their waters to fish (1-888-226-7277). Be prepared with documentation as if you are going over a bridge to enter Canada. This has to be done on the water and all passengers reported (with passports), and cannot be done before leaving. And make sure your boat is properly equipped for safety in case you get an on-water check. Make sure you know ALL requirements before fishing Canadian waters, a loss of your boat and a $5000 fine has happened last season.

Doug - 1st week in May is hit or miss usually. If they aren't on the bar you can find them from the Welland to Jordan, which in your ride isn't a long trip. Prior to that weekend you will need to be in Canada to find Kings, usually. Most marinas in the River aren't even open yet that time of year. You can tie up to the launch docks in Youngstown though.

Is it true that before you enter canadian water you have to call  a certain number to make a request and also have a passport with you?

Thun,

As Don said, you need to call Customs at that number before you enter Canadian waters.  You do not need a passport as long as you don't step on land.  Once the call is made, you're good for that day. 

I just want to remind those folks going over the border, They are all a bunch off Bastards!!!!, once you cross their border, what's good one day is not the next. I call it changing of the Guards, new people(well I won't go there) new set of rules, what worked yesterday, wont today, Trust me, been there done that, cost me a lot of money and time. I haven't bee back since, that one Incident, three hours being detained, on a total inspection of my boat, I had my wife, my twin daughters, and my dad and a good friend along, dad was a Korean war vet, Butch  was Vietnam vet. They charged me with having to much tobacco on board, first they ask how long you are staying a ( a few hours means one day) so we got cited for having to much chew tobacco, they asked why are the kids taking so many pictures, don't know they like to take pictures, what's wrong with that, well  we don't like it they said and took the chip out of the camera, and deleted some of the pictures and gave the chip back to my girls, then they took Butch off board to their boat and he was gone 15-20 minutes, then they took Dave, same thing, finally Butch, reached in his pocket and got a card with numbers on it and called to Fort Drum , after a brief discussion with the Canadians and who every was on the other end of the phone (Military guy of some sort.) we where able to enter the states again, $60.00 in taxes for having  roll of chew,$300.00 for not having a coast guard approv. tag sewed to my throw device, I had a brand new one but it was not tied to the rope so the one on the rope was what I got fined for, Just a word of advice, the fish aren't worth it.

Well, you simply have to know your stuff :) American border agents are same way. No exceptions. It depends on their mood how they will act. One day they are fine, other day they're ass oles. Went through niagara many times. One day they were ok, other searched my car for 3 hours :P