Spread deployment

Buddies and I got together bought a bigger boat and are ready to run 8+ rods at once.  We all have small boat syndrome, none of us have ever ran more than 4 rods at once, always 2 riggers and 2 wire dipseys.

We now have 3 riggers maybe adding a 4th and have dipsy rods in braid and wire and lead core setups. 

Our goal is to avoid TANGLES!!!

Where do we start our deployment?  I think riggers will go out first, running a combination of meat, spoons or plugs.  If we have 4 riggers on the back which should be the deepest?  center or starboard/port?

next i would say is dipseys.  Size 1 dipsy wire on the inside, shorter rod 1.5 setting to be deployed first. Braid on the outside same size dipsey, longer rod #3 setting more line out, to be deployed second.  We would use this set up on either side of the boat.

Once all dipseys and riggers are set we move on to leadcore on boards.  3-6 color depending on the time of year, etc.

So how does this sound?

Any tips, pointers, whatever.  We just want to avoid the dreaded tangle while we deploy.  I know turning and landing fish is another factor but right now we are all nervous about deployment.

Thanks for your help.

leadcore on planer boards, riggers while the planer boards are slowly moving out, then wire line with mag dipsys on #1 then braid dipsys 0n #3. i run 9 rods with 3 guys on a 19.5 ft C.C. good luck and tight lines. P.S. the fish on will sometimes ruin the best plans.LOL

Krawler, it is the opposite to your suggestion, follow Dan's advice.

You need to let out the outside shallow lines first, and yes shallower lines are further from the boat. Deeper are closer.

The reason you do this is because when you let out a line there is much less drag so the bait sinks deeper and to the center until you stop spooling and the planer or dipsey grips the water. Only then will the lure rise and pull off to the side.

If you let the deep lines out first you run the risk of the shallow lines tangling into them as the deeper lines will be closer to the center of the boat. Deploying the shallow lines first gets them out away from the center and high in the water column, so there's no risk of tangles when you deploy the deeper lines.

What do you do to re-set when a dipsey has to go between the rigger and board or to the board on the far outside? I've asked, and been answered, this question before. The replys said to let out the line down the chute (or off opposite corner) until enough distance is attained, then engage the dipsey or board and allow it to travel to the side (over the in-water rigs) and fit back in to the set. How are these replies different from krawler's question about initial deployment? I'm really confused, can anyone help? 

to reset a dipsy deploy it between rigger and board lines,set it in ahead of the rigger and off to the side of the boat. it will dive down and away clearing the rigger planer boards should be well out of the way. to reset a planer board i deploy straight down the chute, krawlers questions were on the initial deployment. hope this helps. tight lines.

Dan...

Initial deployment is really all about what you want in the water first. Typically i try to get a long line in the water while im sending the probe rigger down. Some days though it may be a wire diver instead of a long line, and somedays it may only be the probe rigger. It depends entirely about what i know about the current fishing conditions (where temp is, where active fish are, etc).

You dont have to run 10-12 rods. As you feel comfortable put another rod out. More lines in the water = more chances of a tangle. And yes it will happen. You havent lived until you have had to untangle a 450 copper and a wire diver. :)  Keep it simple. I would suggest working from the middle of the boat to the outside. Start by setting riggers. These will be the fastest four lines in the water (it gets you fishing faster). If your running 4 riggers then your middle 2 should be your deep ones and the 2 off to the sides shallower ones. Then deploy divers (inside diver first). I use a .5 setting on the inside and a 2.5-3 on the outside. Then long lines (off boards).