Keuka 3/30/13

Got out on Keuka on Saturday from 8 - 11:30 and went 22 for 26 on Lakers.  Most of them in the 2-3 lb range, with a few nice ones close to 6 lbs.  Caught fish on all three set-ups (riggers, leadcore, planer boards) but most came on the riggers down 80-110 ft.  The three hottest spoons for the day were a laker taker, and two of my own hand painted spoons (these two spoons accounted for 15 of the 22).  Pretty proud of the homemade spoons even if it was on Keuka!  :)  :)   All in all it was a great day of fishing and a great day to be out on the water.

Sean

Good going Guppy! Yeah it sure is fun taking them on something you either made or adapted. I used to make my own flutter spoons and one year my dad placed second in the Seniors division with one of them in the Lake Trout Derby on Seneca and was actually leading the derby with it for the first day....it was pretty cool! It was also his last derby before he died so it was very special.

Sk8man,

Sorry for the loss of your dad, but at least you do have that very special moment that you will remember for the rest of your life!!  It definitely is rewarding in more than one way to catch fish on a homemade lure.

A friend of mine has caught over 100 lakers in the past 4 weeks.  He was gracious enough to "show me the ropes" 2 weeks ago. We literally caught ~25 fish, mostly 2-4 lbs, in 2 hrs.  All jigging, within about 100 yds. We fished where there weren't many marks and NO bait and tried to find fish that would come off the bottom.  They played along and we could have stayed all day but my boy (6) was tired and my arm hurt! :rofl:   Down near H-port there is so much bait and the fish are stacked up in the water column.  Have been that way for weeks.  I just can't imagine how many lakers are in Keuka. After fishing Seneca for the last year, WOW.

Yes, saturday was a good day for lakers. Two of us jigged up 22, largest was 6-7 lbs. Tons of fish and bait at the south end.I agree that we are seeing a larger average weight fish this year. We've taken(and released  all but what we could use and give away)107 in just 6 trips this year for an average of just over 17 per trip. Our best was 45 and worst was 8.All but 6 taken on jigging spoons and the 6 on plastics.

You're right about hand painting Guppy...  I buy used lures at Bears ( 3 for $5.00 ) or Screwy Louie's ( 5 for $ 5.00 )...take off the old paint and stickers and paint with fingernail polish..( with a good hardener )...I probably have 35 bottles with different shades of blue green yellow orange and red...also black..I catch a lot of flack from my son ( and funny looks from sales ladies in the cosmetic section )..but they are proven fish catchers 

I laughed like h at Tex's comment about the nail polish....I've used it for more years than I care to remember on my jigs, ice fishing jigs, spoons etc. and I can remember when my oldest daughter used to sneak into my supplies  as a teenager and I'd find bottles missing (especially the glitter stuff)... :)  I sometimes returned the favor :lol: .

Edited by Sk8man