Proos Downrigger (1985) Motor Information Request

anviltop

I have 2 1985 Proos downriggers with tired motors. I am looking for motors to replace them. I have heard that they are standard Mopar (Chrysler) windshield wiper motors, but I want to be sure before I begin chasing this.

I am looking for help to any information on a website that I can go look at either to locate & buy used motors, information on how to find used motors, are Mopar motors the ticket & is there a model number to reference them, etc. If you have any information you can provide me, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

:?:

Dear AnvilTop,

My best recommendation would be as follows. Take the motors to Brett @ NorthStar Electric in Macedon, NY 315-986-4451. 105 Main Street. Let him examine them and give you an estimate on rebuilding them. He can rebuild most anything 12 volt Marine and automotive electric motors. He can tell you their origin and if they are rebuildable. ONLY after visually examinig the patient's! If these were made by Prestolite for Mopar, remember that Prestolite was sold in 2000 and dismembered to the winds. So, anything left in parts is turning into gold when you go to buy it. Best way out is to rebuild what you have. Brett can even rewind armatures! But ask for the cost before you jump in to repairing these motors!

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

• 2 weeks later...
I have 2 1985 Proos downriggers with tired motors. I am looking for motors to replace them. I have heard that they are standard Mopar (Chrysler) windshield wiper motors, but I want to be sure before I begin chasing this.

I am looking for help to any information on a website that I can go look at either to locate & buy used motors, information on how to find used motors, are Mopar motors the ticket & is there a model number to reference them, etc. If you have any information you can provide me, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

:?:

Did a little research on this topic, since I am facing the exact same issue as you. From what i can tell this is actually a Chrysler power window motor, not a wiper motor. Check here, I guess the best you can do is order one and see if it works. They look Identical to me.

http://www.racepages.com/products/?Ntt= ... or&N=10030

i run 4 proos on my boat and keep 2 spares in the garage. i know the time will come when a rebuild is the only option. please post the outcome, id love to know how you guys make out.