Great afternoon on the lake, went 15 for 20 with one coho, one laker and the rest were all browns. Caught the first fish 100' out of the launch and never went more than a 1/4 mile to either side. 5-10' of water with a water temp of 37 degrees. Floating rapalas #5 & #7's cold steel, and black & silver were the hot lures. Slowed down after we lost the ripple and the lake went flat. Stained water out about 100 yards. Started at about 4 and fished until7pm.

Bear creek is a small launch (with very low water levels) in the town of Ontario just a few minutes west of Pultneyville. Day and season passes are available at the Ontario Town Hall. I didn't get over 3' until I was past the point. 

Bear Creek is where I launch from.  The parks and rec's office is just off Knickerbocker Road in Casey Park, about 1/2 mile north of Route 104.  Bear Creek is about half way between Knickerbocker and Furnace...about 1.5 miles east of the Ginna Nuclear plant.

I have a resident season pass, but you can pick up non-resident and one day passes.  But your not going to do that at 6-7 am if you go out early.  Call # 315-524-7447 to ask questions on how to get a pass, hrs, online..etc.  They do check in the parking lot (which for trailers is across the street, south side of Lake Road) but more so on weekends and during warmer season.  You may not have an issue right now, but that is an opinion! 

As for the water level, the BIGGEST concern is keeping your prop way up, just into the water, and staying a little to the pier side of the channel.  The launch ramp is shallow and its pretty sandy just behind the ramp and for 3/4 of the way out of the channel...BUT there are some very big submerged rocks along the east side of the channel, your starboard side as you go out.  The actual rocks are not the visible ones you can see at the end of the pier, jutting out into the lake, but are actually in what you might call the middle of the channel or mouth to bear creek.  If the channel is 150 foot across, you want to stay within 30 feet of the pier to your left, as you go out and DONT, i repeat DONT try and go onto plane until your in 5-7 foot of water, a good 100 feet or more past the pier head.  The worse rocks would be to your right, about 50 feet past the mouth.   I have learned the hard way, where they are. 

Go slow, prop up and patient until water is deep enough. 

Also, if you troll out to Ginna, be sure you watch for the 1000 yard STAY AWAY ZONE.  It is marked with about a dozen white bouys that make a rectangle out into the lake to keep people from getting to close.  You do not want the coast guard charging you down and i have seen it happen.  Best to know where that zone is, and be sure to follow.

Tight line and if all goes well, i will be back out there April 13-14th.....

Jason

another note on Bear Creek.   In the summer in the evening it seems to be a popular place for the ski do's to run.  And most of the owners  of these machines do not live in town,  and do not have parking passes, plus they park with their trailers on the lake side of lake road.  Which makes it very congested.  And I have never seen a cop or Ontario employee check them.  makes it tough for a regular fisherman to get in and out. 

All I want to know is who's side of the boat caught more fish?

Boat is too small to have sides! I do know that when it was my turn to steer, we stayed in the fish. When the other guy drove, we mysteriously drifted out to deeper water!! And he broke one of the reels I got from you! 

Hmmmm, I heard a 15 min story and none of that was mentioned!

Figures! Know where I can get bolts for those Abu Garcia reels? I picked it up from the floor of the boat and all but the handle was gone. My buddy took care of them while I strapped the boat down.haha