Holder for spare rods

CaptSpike

Looking for something to hold my spare rods while fishing. I saw a pedestal mount rig a few yrs back and thought that would work great. After doing some research there is little info given regarding the products I have found. I checked out Cabelas rod holder but read reviews saying you can't put the line counter reels in every spot on them, spacing is too cloe. Berts makes one (rod corral) but no info on spacing for those either. I haven't found much after those two that is still made. I already have a pedestal and was thinking of having a piece of aluminum welded to it and then just mounting  a vertical four rod holder on each side. Is anyone else using anything like I have described? If so where did you get it? I'm surprised more people aren't making something like this.

Thanks

Spike

Spike I have had the one from Cabela's for three years (8place holder) I use a mix of Diawa 27s,47s and Okuma Magda pro holds em ok for me. I'm in NH too so shoot me a pm maybe we can get together and you can try mine before you buy.

BARRY

Jusgrinnin that would be good however I am due to go to Ontario on April 25th and I'm not sure I'll have the boat ready (or open water) for a Winni run by then. If I don't get something for that trip then I'll definitely look you up for after (unless I am ready before, in that case I'll PM you. I usually go out of sheps as I bring by buddy out (confined to wheel chari) and that is the easiest place for him to transfer into the boat.

Rolmops I saw your add and that is what got me thiniking why couldn't I just weld a mounting block to the pedestal I have then mount those(or similair ) to the mounting block. how long are those holders and Not the part re rods go in but the mounting part. I would need to know how much space I need to fit those. Also spacing between rod holders would help too.

Thanks,

Spike

Hey Spike, You be a day ahead of my crew, I'm also heading to Lake O that Fri am (26th).......I'm setting up a couple triple  rod holders mounted onto each end of a  big cooler......that will ride in front on my open bow 

Where are you launching out of, we will be in mexico bay

I've been using the 8 rod one with pedestal mount(without the back facing rod holder) and I love it. I have 47H's and 47 LC's in combination and I even use it for my thermocline rods with Penn 309's on them. I believe that unless you are using the Saltists  with the side mounted line counter you can position them on in such a way to get them all in there (actually you can see it in the background of my pic here).

Edited by Sk8man

Hey Spike, You be a day ahead of my crew, I'm also heading to Lake O that Fri am (26th).......I'm setting up a couple triple  rod holders mounted onto each end of a  big cooler......that will ride in front on my open bow 

Where are you launching out of, we will be in mexico bay

I have the three set up on each end of a colman cube cooler. I can't open and close the window without moving the cooler and I'd like to eliminate taking that cooler which just holds the spare rods and some drinks/food. I could use a smaller one for food and drinks saving some needed space.

We will be launching from Oswego or Mexico depending on where is best at that time.

Spike

Question for you guys with the Cabelas holder, does the but end of the rod rest on your floor or is it off the floor? I would like to keep the rods off the deck so as not to mar up the florring.

Thanks,

Spike

My downrigger rods do touch the floor when the reels are "locked" in the depressions of the holder tube. I just measured the holders and they are 11 3/4 inches long and the depression takes them to 10 3/8 or so. All my rods except the thermocline rods have hard rubber on the ends and I have never had any scratches from them on the deck. If the ends of the rods are unslotted and flat across them I d' just get some thin circular felt protectors the right diameter for the rod butts (like used for the legs of chairs etc.). That's what I use on my thermocline rod butts.

If you do decide for the rod holder make sure to measure the shaft diameter of your pedestal hole because I believe they come in a couple sized diameters.

Edited by Sk8man

Spike.. You may want to check out Cisco. My buddy just had some holders custom made by them. Really great quality and great to deal with (according to my buddy).. but a bit pricey (according to me). :) Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Captspike,

I just made my own. I picked up the proper size pvc tube at Lowe's or Home Depot. Cut two square holes for two of the plactic/wood pickets used for deck railings (cut to length). Cut the rest of the pvc for the rods and screw to the picket.  I think mine holds 12 rods. I can add a picture later if you need if I can dig it out from winter storage. This is a cheep and quick project and you will hold more rods than the store one.