For all the charter captains out there - a question for you please.  We are on a steady troll west holding 10 -11 ft of water.   Another boat way ahead is turning right to head back east, out in 20-25 fow,   Still circling his turn, he comes into the 10-11 fow without straightening out and pinches me into 6-7 fow.  He grabs up my board in his rigger.  I am not a novice, also realize not a pro.  Did I do anything wrong here captain?   Ya think he would apologize or say something ?  Scratching my head here.... Thanks.

Ok so we fished 8-1030, went 9 of 9 browns in 8-14 fow.  Out 100 behind boards and 3 lines straight out 150.  Best action on the 3d minnows in silver black, gold black.  Took one on  a spoon.  Water was clear, had 39.  Wind started to blow harder and the waves grew (esp in my 17 footer), we landed (and released) a double and thought that was the best ending we could have.  

First off, Im not Captain.  It sounds like he should have stayed out in deeper water till he got past you.  But If he completed his turn and then came straight at you must yield to him.  If the the shoreline in on his right, he has the right of way.  Maybe he didnt see you? 

hey  i sent you a pm  explaing  a little more into detail.  But for others  out there as well  it  is  the rules  of the road  to try and pass other  head  on vessels  port  to port. ( left  side  of your  boat to their  left side of their boat).   

i had a charter last weekend run up behind and inside of me at Irondequoit.  he got with about 75 yards behind me, and at one point we were in between his boat and his otter boat on his port side.  he all of the sudden walked over to see where he was and cut hard to shore to nearly avoid a major snag.  after he pushed us out of our trolling path, he casually continued on by to our inside, not even a wave or sorry or anything (we were only about 60 yards apart at this time).  we ended up tangling two of our own lines cutting hard to get away from him.  i wish some charters would take the time to pay attention to where they are going and not so much on making the buck by staring at the rods.  what even happened to safety first???

I unfortunately have to agree with vogel451. Once he completes his turn and proceeds towards you from your front starboard quadrant, he becomes the "stand-on" boat and you must "give-way" to him. The rules do not take into the account that your mobility is limited because you have fishing gear out. Other fisherman have to respect these situations and do what is right. Unfortunately, this is not always the situation.  

Thanks for the comments, I am not convinced his turn was fully completed, which is part of my point.  Anyhow, will have to research right of way cause don't know which comment is correct.   If I can get those catch stats everytime I am out there, I can put up with a 'minor inconvenience' !!!!!

If I'm following a boat by a good distance and he bales out deep I'm gonna keep my course, I'm not a mind reader, my thought is to continue on inside past him and he can jump back inside after we pass. I've been driven into shore before, get out of packs, stay outside is the best for me.

Balloon launcher attached to the planer mast...

Exactly! LOL Some of these guys are just plain D**ks. Don't let them push you around. My rule of thumb is if I give you the inside when we pass the first time I expect you to give me the inside when we pass the next time, and so on and so forth. Sometimes, your not paying attention, and you put yourself in a ****ty situation. If you take the 10 seconds to wave and apologize to the other boat it goes a long way.

Personally, I've only had issues with a couple sailboats over the few seasons I've been trolling.  We usually steer clear of the trolling pack anyway but in spring, everyone's sharing the shallow water...

First off, Im not Captain.  It sounds like he should have stayed out in deeper water till he got past you.  But If he completed his turn and then came straight at you must yield to him.  If the the shoreline in on his right, he has the right of way.  Maybe he didnt see you? 

That is exactly correct. GregMacedon should have turned to Starboard so both boats should have passed port to port. Also, if he were in deeper water it means that he would have been off to Greg's Startboard side which means Greg would have been the give way boat and he should have turned to Starboard. 

Sorry Greg but those are the rules of the road.

To be practical though, he did not need to be a dick. He could have just stayed out deep until you passed by.  :thinking:

That is exactly correct. GregMacedon should have turned to Starboard so both boats should have passed port to port. Also, if he were in deeper water it means that he would have been off to Greg's Startboard side which means Greg would have been the give way boat and he should have turned to Starboard. 

Sorry Greg but those are the rules of the road.

To be practical though, he did not need to be a dick. He could have just stayed out deep until you passed by.  :thinking:

Yup, this is as clear cut an example of someone who was both technically "in the right" and a major league douche-nozzle at the same time, that I have seen in quite a while.

For all the charter captains out there - a question for you please.  We are on a steady troll west holding 10 -11 ft of water.   Another boat way ahead is turning right to head back east, out in 20-25 fow,   Still circling his turn, he comes into the 10-11 fow without straightening out and pinches me into 6-7 fow.  He grabs up my board in his rigger.  I am not a novice, also realize not a pro.  Did I do anything wrong here captain?   Ya think he would apologize or say something ?  Scratching my head here.... Thanks.

Let me guess.......was it a cream and maroon...older chris craft........???????