Cork handles

Just wondering what you guys have experienced with cork handles on rigger rods? All my salmon gear is the foam style and cracking them down in the riggers time after time leaves them with a permanent dent in the foam from the rod holder on the rigger. Just wondering if cork is just as bad or if it is worse, and eventually leading to the cork to fall apart? Reason I ask is I would like to get a bunch of Clarus trolling rods for spring browns and they have the cork handles. I don't plan on cranking them down as tight as I would for salmon but wonder if I'm just gonna end up damaging them anyways. I don't really mind the dent but I just don't want the handles to fall apart all together. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have mostly cork handles. They have held up well. I clean them with awesome cleaner and a scotchbright followed with a cork conditioner (cabelas) in the off season. I have Fenwick, G Loomis, and Browning. You should be satisfied with the Shimanos.

I have never had a cork handled rigger rod but I'm sure with normal use (non charter!) they would hold up a while.  Most every store bought rod with foam grips use EVA foam.  Hypalon foam is heavier but is by far the toughest.  Most of our custom rod buyers prefer the hypalon once they have used them.

Slick butts are made specifically for rod-holders, but I'm not aware of any freshwater trolling rods that use these. I made a couple of rods with carbon fiber handles and they're pretty nice, too. If you're cork does get chewed up, it's easy to fill and sand, then cover with flocked shrink wrap for a new look.

Some time back I had Eagleclaw Starfire downrigger rods with cork handles. They seemed a bit more "forgiving" than the foam butts and although they "dented" from time to time they seemed to recover better than foam. My buddy Admiral Byrd cheritibly donated one of them to the  "Seneca Lake Fish Gods"  in about 300 ft of water north of the salt plant I believe....   :lol:  They don't recover as well from that...