Three men saved off Four mile Creek

US Coast Guard, Canadian Coast Guard and Lewiston Fire Company boats responded to a 911 call from a boat foundering off Four Mile Creek in thirty seven degree water. Five foot waves were encountered. Ice in the Niagara River hindered response time but the boat was reached after forty five minutes and all three men who stayed with the boat were rescued. Only one person was wearing a life jacket. The boat later sank and was lost. The cell phone and gps aided in the location of the men.

Two men were treated at St. Mary's hospital in Lewiston while a pacemaker equipped patient was med evaced to ECMC in Buffalo. The Niagara County Sheriff's office handled the 911 calls.

Thanks are due for the responding agencies.

Edited by jimski2

Its another reminder that Mother Nature seldom has mercy on the unprepared and Lake O is a force to be reckoned with...thankfully it appears to have turned as well as could be expected. Life jackets can sometimes be regarded a s a necessary "nuisance" but the emphasis is placed on necessary.

A secondary reason for the life jacket rule is if the response goes to the recovery phase., a lost body may not surface for a month this time of year and a lot of search time is saved. Surviving family members are denied death benefits and life insurance benefits until the case is closed.

The cell phone can be "pinged" to help locate the callers position. Most rescue boats are equipped with a VHF radio signal direction finder to assist the response.

Edited by jimski2

Glad to here they found them.......

Does the GPS/DSC enabled VHF radios work for relaying the gps coordinates to the coast guard on Lake O? 

I know they work on the Atlantic Ocean, but wondered if they use the same system in the big fresh water

glad they are ok, but seiously, what were the thinking? I listen to marine weather before I launch my boat and while on my boat, few times. No life jackets? Idiots.

No question about it. It doesn't matter how big the boat is. no imagination.

. The guy with a pacemaker, he should have enough 'wisdom' on his back to know better. I never wonder off far is the weather is sketchy.

I wanted to go trolling in Feb this year, I couldn't afford a 500$ survival suit so I didn't.

Once again glad they're ok!