BoatU.S.

Just wondering if anyone is a member of BoatU.S. it definitely looks like it could be worth the price of joining. Just the towing alone could save :cash:  :cash:  :cash: , pretty much covers most of south shore. Anyone with experience with them or who has used the towing package, I would really like to hear you thoughts. Thanks in advance. 

I am a member and do also have the tow service thing,mostly because I do most of my fishing alone at crazy hours.I've never needed them,but it does give me peace of mind.The tow service is not very fast. They have a few (3?) boats on trailers to cover the south shore . I've always wondered about how to reach them when out of cell phone range.

Edited by rolmops

I paid for Boat U.S. for a few years . But the more I looked into it the more it seemed an unneccesary expense . Any one interested should look up the laws governing marine towing and salvage . At some point a tow can become salvage and you are responsible to pay the salver the book price of your (at that point , it's THEIR boat ) to get it back . Laws are very strange and iron clad . I was towed in by the CG a few years ago after destroying my lower unit on a rock during very low water levels .  There was no charge for the service , but if i ever get a chance to buy those coasties some beers ............

I have it, saved me big bucks towing my grady home after losing a leaf spring last year . The on road portion is well worth it, the on the water not so much. They cannot compete with free sheriff dept. towing services. They have 3 on the lake last year, northeast area, Oswego, Rochester. Oak orchard discontinued. I would suggest asking what channel the sheriff is on in your fishing area.

The insurance works great, ever since I got it I've never broken down haha.  Pretty sure the sheriff has better things to do than tow people in, but big props to them if they tow people in in their free time.  I know I broke down on the Hudson the first time I took my brand new boat out and neither the coast guard or the sheriff would tow me the 500yrds to the launch (luckily the DEC did).  For me, the small cost is worth it in the trailer insurance alone (which is only like $20 if you have the towing insurance).

Nick

I have unlimited towing and have needed it two times. 2008 brand new $75,000 boat, 150 gallons of gas and I ran out. Late Sunday afternoon and no one around. Hail Tow Boat US, Tow Boat US, Tow Boat US. French Bay Marine showed up with fuel and followed me back to the marina. One year later, $14,000 Mercruiser engine and sea water pump blows apart. Engine overheats, shut it down and checked it out. Engine cools and ingests water. Late Sunday afternoon, no one around. Tow Boat US, Tow Boat US, Tow Boat US. French Bay Marine showed up and one hour later they put my boat in the slip better than I could. Before I had Boat US I broke down on 81 at Ellisburg. Trailer cross member broke. Got lucky  when Tims Auto Repair showed up and only charged $50. The towing and gas delivery cost $500- $700. It has been worth it for me.

As a boat owner, I belong to Boat US for the same reason I belong to the NRA as a gun owner.  Boat US represents us in Washington and helps keep the critters that inhabit that cesspool from screwing with us too much. 

They have been fighting the good fight on our behalf for years now on the Ethanol issue, not always successfully, I'm afraid, but I'm certain that without Boat US's efforts, we'd have had E15 forced on us a long time ago,

It's a small price to pay to have someone representing our interests.  As far as I'm concerned, if you own a boat, you should be  a member of Boat US.

If you belong to a club, they may very well be a Cooperating Group which gets you a big discount.  For Instance, LOTSA is a Boat US Cooperating Group and as such, our members are entitled to a 50% discount on their Boat US Membership.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund