Yankee's still in the ROC 4/6-4/7

April 6th - We left the dock a little past 6am with a new crew. Breaking the pier heads we choose right, so down to Oklahoma Beach we went. We set out a typical Spring Brown Trout set-up. Three lines off each planer board with sticks, our Cannon out downs had spoons, and over the top of them we ran a split shot spoon.

When we got to Irondequoit we knew it was gonna be a tough day if we didn’t find better water. It was chocolate milk! So, out went the bright colored lures. Things started slow! We decided to put a rod down the chute because of the slow bite, and we picked up a Brad’s ThinFish and sent it out. We’ve had good luck on these in the past for BT. It wasn’t out there two minutes and FISH ON! We loaded one board up with these baits and the fish started to come. We found a few pockets with water that wasn’t complete mud, and I think the rattles in those baits helped draw the fish in. Brads ThinFish in Green Speck, Blue Green Yellow Lazer, and Red Black Squiggles all took their fair share of hits.

We would go on to work those pockets and pick away at fish. One of the guys had the lucky rotation and too three fish at the double digit mark. His buddies fish were much smaller, but surprisingly there wasn’t a lot of smack talking about it. I know I would have been running my mouth if I was him! 

IMG_20130406_075421_zps1bfc7299.jpg

IMG_20130406_093422_zpsfe792482.jpg

IMG_20130406_083358_zps278cf0fc.jpg

IMG_20130406_084817_zpsd2329a2e.jpg

April 7th - Back at it again with a crew that did a Salmon trip with us in 2012. They were looking for a wall mounter Brown Trout, and we almost made that happen!

Again, we made the decision to go right when we broke the piers about 6;30am. Down to the waters from the previous day, and we notice right away the mud is gone, and we can see down 10-12’. Oh Boy….change out the spread! It’s amazing what a few hours of South wind will do! Out went the naturals in a typical Spring program. Three flat lines off each planer board, a spoon run on our Cannon out and downs, and a split shot spoon run right over the top of those. 

We hit the area just East of that tragic Christmas Eve shooting, and I think we moved 6 rods in a matter of 10 minutes. After only landing two of those fish we decided it was time for a lesson on light line Brown Trout fishing. After that these guys had it down!

Those two fish happened to be Lake Trout, which we’ve been seeing a lot of on the beach this Spring. The few boats after us also hit that spot and pulled LT’s, so we decided to push on East. Water was very clear, and we only took two shots from there to Hedges. One being the beast of the trip. A nicely colored up 12lb Brown Trout. We finally went back to the area we pounced on them in the morning and would go on to take 2-3 fish per pass until mother nature decided to blow 40. Hot baits today were Smithwicks and Rapalas in natural colors. 

IMG_20130407_091511_zpse606e55c.jpg

IMG_20130407_084333_zps957f7522.jpg

IMG_20130407_104143_zps9e651958.jpg

Edited by Yankee Troller

Good report and very nice fish Captain! Because I live near the Hudson River I am waiting for the stripers to arrive before I start towing the new boat to LO. Problem is the stripers are not here yet and you guys are catching browns without me. Your killing me!