2013 Sodus Bay Healing Waters Salmon Slam - August 3rd

Current registrants:

volunteers.jpg

BFF.jpg

With the start of the 2013 fishing season, I want to kick off the 2013 Sodus Bay Healing Waters Salmon Slam planning!  Last year's innaugural event was a huge

success and I hope this year will be even better.

For those who weren't involved last year or are not familiar with the event, this tournament is utilized as a way to help wounded and disabled veterans and active duty military tby bringing them out on the water and sharing our passion for fishing with them.  Here is a quick video from the event last year:

The event is coordinated with Project Healing Waters which is a non-profit organization dedicated to the physical and emotional rehabilitation of disabled active military service personnel and veterans through fishing education and outings.

The tournament rules will be the same as last year, except ties will be drawn from a hat. (Yes we actually had a tie last year).  I'll post them shortly.  There is no fee to enter the tournament other than bringing one or more of our veterans/servicemen out on your team. There will be three divisions, salmon, steelhead, and brown trout.  The single largest veteran/serviceman caught fish wins each divsion and there will be separate prizes for veterans and captains. 

The tournament is held out of Arneys Marina in Sodus Point, NY.  You do not need to be docked there, but you will need to pick up your veterans/servicemen there.  If you'd like to dock there for the day/weekend call in advance, as slips run out quickly!

There will be a free barbecue after the tournament as well!

I'd like to start with opening up registration to 20 boats and may extend it to 30 boats if there is as much interest as there was last year. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via email, IM, or phone.

Those looking to donate items for the event or volunteer your time to make this event more amazing that last year, please contact me!

2013SBHWSalmonSlamTournament.jpg

Nick

Edited by bobs_boy

Hi Nick,

I didn't see this new thread until after I posted on the old thread.

I'll be back again this year to help where needed. Let me know if you and Theresa want to get together to discuss your plans. 

Jim

Nick -

count Team So Saarie in again, looking forward to it - awesome time last year. I'm sure you can count on the Hide-A-Way for all the salads and stuff, I will double check and get back to you on that later today. Also, let me know if you want to do t-shirts again..

-Joe

Edited by SoSaarie

Sounds good Jim, I'll give you a shout once we're back in Sodus in June.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I didn't see this new thread until after I posted on the old thread.

I'll be back again this year to help where needed. Let me know if you and Theresa want to get together to discuss your plans. 

Jim

Excellent Mike, sent you an email about the weigh in board and donation form you asked for.

'Bout Time is in. The wife and I will help in anyway needed. Looking forward to it.

Hey Joe!

Yeah let me know what Hide-A-Way wants to do this year and we can plan the rest of the barbecue accordingly.  I think shirts again this year would be great!  If there's anyone with more artistic ability than me (which shouldn't be hard!) let me know if there's a different/better design. 

Nick

Nick -

count Team So Saarie in again, looking forward to it - awesome time last year. I'm sure you can count on the Hide-A-Way for all the salads and stuff, I will double check and get back to you on that later today. Also, let me know if you want to do t-shirts again..

-Joe

Hey Wayne!

I hope you found a nice big green dolphin sticker for that new boat!  Thanks for joining us again this year!

Nick

Team Green Dolphin is in again. Looking forward to it :)

I just secured a "gold" level donation from my company. I still have a couple im working on but it is great to see some :major corporations taking interest. It just shows what a great cause this is.

• 1 month later...

1. All fish must be caught legally in accordance with NYSDEC regulations.   All entered fish must be caught in U.S waters of Lake Ontario

2. All boats must leave from and return to Arneys Marina in Sodus Point, NY.   Vessels leaving from or returning to other ports are not eligible to participate. 

All boats must sign in at the registration table in Arneys parking lot by 6:00 am on Saturday August 3rd, 2013. 

Each boat will have a minimum of two participants, one of which is a tournament supplied veteran or volunteer.

Veterans will arrive at 6:15am and begin boarding their designated boats.

All boats will leave Arneys Marina at 6:30 a.m. and travel through the channel to the lake together, once through the channel and in the lake, boats may separate and begin fishing.

All boats must provide at least one cellular phone number at the registration table.  

If the lake is deemed too rough for the Salmon Slam by the tournament coordinator, prizes will be raffled off to teams who take the veterans fishing in the bay for bass, perch, etc. (Boats may take their veterans fishing on the lake if the captain deems their vessel safe for the rough lake conditions and still be eligible for the raffle).

Any tournament change due to weather will be made by 6:30 a.m. on the day of the event.

Fishing will end at 12:30pm.

Weigh in will be at Arney’s Marina beginning at 1:00 p.m. and end at approximately 1:30 p.m. (or when all fish are weighed in).  Participants must be in line with their fish/cooler no later than 1:30 p.m.

Legal fish species will be any salmon and trout, except for lake trout which must be a minimum length of 30 inches.   All fish must meet the minimum NYSDEC size limits at the time of weigh in.  Any team bringing non-legal fish to the weigh in will be immediately disqualified.    

The largest salmon, steelhead, and brown trout can be used for weigh in.  All fish must be brought to the weigh station in coolers. 

Scoring will be based on weight, 1 point per pound.  

In the case of a tie, each captain will enter their name into a hat and the winner will be drawn.

The largest individual salmon, rainbow trout (steelhead) and brown trout will each receive awards.  

Each teams largest fish weighed in will receive raffle tickets based upon weight:

• 0-9 lbs = 1 ticket

• 10-29 lbs = 2 tickets

30+ lbs = 3 tickets

All participants agree to hold Tournament Committee members, Project Healing Waters, Arneys Marina, Sponsors, their agents and volunteers harmless from any liability of any nature or kind for injuries and/or damages suffered by the participant during this event. 

Participants agree to grant permission to use any photographs and videos taken during the derby or awards to the Tournament Committee and any sponsors.

All fish will be examined by the weigh master prior to being weighed.  Any fish that has fungus or rot, freezer burns, clouded eyes, slimy gills and unresponsive flesh will be disqualified.  

Participants agree that all decisions of the Tournament Committee are final.  

No disposal of fish will be allowed at the weigh in.  All fish must be removed from the weigh in property.  Any participants disposing of fish at the weigh in property will be immediately disqualified from the derby and any future events.

All tournament communication should be conducted on VHF Channel 9.

We promote open communication during this event in the hopes that every Veteran is able to fight a fish.

In the event of Emergency or returning to port early, please call the tournament coordinator, Nick Allers, at (484) 302-1590.

Edited by bobs_boy

If I missed anyone who emailed me about entering the Salmon Slam, please PM me.

There are still a few spots open if anyone would like to get in on this event.  We'll have some great prizes as well as some great veterans and active duty servicemen to show how spectactular our fishery is.

I'll add the boats list to the first post of this thread, so it doesn't get lost as it's updated.

Nick

Edited by bobs_boy

We had a great time taking 1 disabled vet last year. A very memorable experience for us all.  I'll be out again this year with Ray K. in Pegasus. Yeah, I know, I'm a glutton for punishment.  :$