Lowrance Elite 7 problem. Help?

lineman49

Just installed a new Elite 7 HDI combo unit. I had it on & working in the simulator mode for 45 .min. then turned it off. Went back a 1/2 hr later turned it on & now it comes on the says "Elite Lowrance"( title page)   & won't do anything else & it won't shut off! Any ideas or reset no how??  Thanks

Sorry. I have one, but have only used it once so far without a problem -- fingers crossed. Maybe disconnect it to try and force it to reset everything and then connect it again? 

If all else fails, the head unit detaches from the wires and comes off the mount very easily, maybe you got a lemon and can return it quickly and easily?

If somehow you can get to the Settings menu there appears to be an option for resetting to factory defaults (Under LANGUAGE). I'm wondering if you inadvertently hit one of the simulation option buttons that is preventing you from going back to the operational mode....I don't have one of these units just looking at the online manual....Page 42. Lowrance is known for their obtuse or absent directions by the way.....

• 2 months later...

I have the same exact problem...called lowrance was told to try and reset by pressing and holding  *(power, + and -) all at once...no result. loaded the update on a brand new sd card, followed instructions carefully, still no result as it wont go past the innitial elite »Lowrance Screen.... I dont know about you guys but for me to save up the cash to buy a "nice" unit took me all winter and spring....and Lowrance support cant even help...what a let down !!

Were you able to fix yours ?...Does anyone know how to resolve this ??

JP

It sounds as though there is something really wrong with the unit or the software. I'd  contact them for instructions and send it back to them. For that kind of money you deserve to have them make it right.....seems that a lot of folks are having problems with that particular unit (or software). Good luck with it. Hope you did it through VISA  or other credit card so worst case scenario you could have them go after Lowrance if they screw you around....Lowrance sure doesn't seem to be the same company (quality control wise ) as it was before they were taken over (or bought out)....

If you bought the unit at cabelas They will back you up. Had problems with my unit. Was replaced by them

Rw is right, Cabelas  will give you another unit no questions asked, I think they saw their fare share of these units having problems, I was told the early units had soft ware problems and Cabelas understands that, so they are trying to get the latest ones in stock as they seem to be trouble free. A big company like Cabelas can put the squeeze to Lowrance  and get results quick unlike us folks just trying to get one problem resolved at a time, I also couldn't wait to get my mits on one and then $700.00 later it doesn't work, mad wasn't the word I would like to use, but I think I finally got a good one. Cabelas did tell me that this one is with the updated software and should be trouble free, and they were sorry for any inconveniences, if anything else goes wrong just bring it back. For me it's a 1.5 hr ride and I'm at the Hamburg store in PA> But if it takes a dump on lake O that's a different story.

Hey guys...finally got it fixed...

After speaking with a few pple at Lowrance support got one to explain that the Manual reset procedure is actually to press and hold the Zoom + and - buttons first then press and release the Power button ***keep holding the Zoom buttons for at least 30 seconds till the innitializing procedures kick in***...this is different then what others were suggesting ( pressing and holding all three at the same time)

Thank you Paul at Lowrance Support for the specifications. I hope this post helps others in fixing the problem shoud they be faced with it......

Now I'm going fishing...

Thank you to all for all your help !!!

JP

Edited by freadomjp

The whole nut in the shell is, if Lowrance would supply a detailed instruction manual with these units, things wouldn't be a blur to us folks that aren't so teck smart, for years all you needed to do is turn the damn thing on and it worked, now you need 3 arms and 6 fingers to hold all the buttons in at the same time!! How much trouble would it be to print out a detailed instruction manual so you could keep it on the boat if you should run into a glitch, all I got was a cd to watch and the rest is on your own. Good luck, I guess you need to take a lap top along to watch the vid. and hope you can resolve the issue on the lake? as if you need one more thing in the way. Just my 2 cents :thinking:

The whole nut in the shell is, if Lowrance would supply a detailed instruction manual with these units, things wouldn't be a blur to us folks that aren't so teck smart, for years all you needed to do is turn the damn thing on and it worked, now you need 3 arms and 6 fingers to hold all the buttons in at the same time!! How much trouble would it be to print out a detailed instruction manual so you could keep it on the boat if you should run into a glitch, all I got was a cd to watch and the rest is on your own. Good luck, I guess you need to take a lap top along to watch the vid. and hope you can resolve the issue on the lake? as if you need one more thing in the way. Just my 2 cents :thinking:

You are correct 100%.  Their manual S*@Ks  big time .  It does not tell you how to do or set anything, (ie. as for the time it says this unit will show time,) it does not tell how to set the time . It does the same for everything!   And then the dam thing shuts itself off by its self for no reason, so far it is great when it works but I am never sure if it will. Every time I put it on its like what will work & not work this time ??

It is my belief that most of the Lowrance manuals were written by the CEO's secretary while she was on lunch break. Mine didn't even mention how to get the speed impeller recognized by the unit itself....luckily while Bs ing with a techie at Cabela's he indicated that he had figured it out accidentally while messing with the unit....or I'd probably still be messing with it....

nybuck50 I am in the same boat! had my heart set on the Lowrance but dont know if that is the way I am going now. I have always had Humminbird and have never had an issue

nybuck50 I am in the same boat! had my heart set on the Lowrance but dont know if that is the way I am going now. I have always had Humminbird and have never had an issue

Ive always had HB's as well. but was seriously considering a change. I can say the humminbird customer service is actually decednt, compared to what ive heard about lowrance.. Looks like an HB 788ci is at the top of my list now

• 1 year later...

just want to echo fredomjp's post .   thankyou very much for your post you saved my weekend.  If you haven't read his post on how to reboot your elite 7 hdi  this is how you get it to unfreeze from the opening display.   hold mob + and - together and then hit power while still holding the +/- together continue holding +/- for 30 sec and then release it takes a minute or two but the unit reboots back original settings, you will have to reput in your prefrences but hey its back on

I bought this unit from Cabela's when they had them on sale a few months ago. Definitely slow booting up, and mine loses GPS connection frequently. Only other feature I don't like much is having to go into the waypoints menu to store a way point, as there is no quick create from the buttons. (My LCx-113 has a "WPT" button that you simply push twice)

I bought this unit from Cabela's when they had them on sale a few months ago. Definitely slow booting up, and mine loses GPS connection frequently. Only other feature I don't like much is having to go into the waypoints menu to store a way point, as there is no quick create from the buttons. (My LCx-113 has a "WPT" button that you simply push twice)

There is not a wpt button but all you have to do is hit enter twice.  The first time, it asks if you want to store a weigh point and the second time you are saying yes.  Pretty simple.

Lowrance screwed me out of my hundred dollar rebate saying I was untimely or something like that. After twelve Lowrance units they now are untimely to see me in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 10 months later...

Just installed a new Elite 7 HDI combo unit. I had it on & working in the simulator mode for 45 .min. then turned it off. Went back a 1/2 hr later turned it on & now it comes on the says "Elite Lowrance"( title page)   & won't do anything else & it won't shut off! Any ideas or reset no how??  Thanks

Agree whole heartedly to the below instructions... My Elite 7 HDI unit is up and running again! If you are ever in the Lake Tahoe area lets go fishing! My treat!

Posted:

Hey guys...finally got it fixed...

After speaking with a few people at Lowrance support got one to explain that the Manual reset procedure is actually to press and hold the Zoom + and - buttons first then press and release the Power button ***keep holding the Zoom buttons for at least 30 seconds till the initializing procedures kick in***...this is different then what others were suggesting ( pressing and holding all three at the same time)

Thank you Paul at Lowrance Support for the specifications. I hope this post helps others in fixing the problem should they be faced with it......

Now I'm going fishing...

Thank you to all for all your help !!!