lb test line for spring fishing

OK so typically (twice) when I come out to Lake O in the spring I bring rods set up with 10lb test line and softer rods. Reading about larger fish, specifically the 24.5 lb brown, being caught I'm thinking I may be going a little light on the line. I have rods set up for salmon (30lb BG) should I be bringing those reels instead? I believe the rods we are using are adequate but I'd hate to lose a 25 lb brown due to too light a line.

Thoughts?

Spike

We use larger capacity reels/light rods 10 lb line to let them run with just enough drag applied, and once they tire out with the brakes on 'em, then you can bring 'em in, or at least that is how we like to do it.

Friend of ours uses 8 lb line this time of year, and was on his boat once, to witness him finesse a 15-16 lb juvinile king to the net.

The way that fish acted, I would have lost that one...........

Your fine with 10lb test. We run 15lb mainline on our Spring Brown Trout rods and leader down to 6-8lb test depending on water clarity. Just take your time, have fun, and you will land every fish that was meant to be landed.

Edited by Yankee Troller

You'll be just fine.

We use 10lb as our standard set-up for browns.  Sometimes 8lb when necessary.  You can set your drags light, then just add a little pressure as the fish tires out.  If you are using a quality line you'll be surprise the amount of drag pressure that you can apply to a heavy fish.  Just take your time, and pay close attention to your line quality after each fish, looking for any knicks or twists, that could weaken the line.

Good luck, and have fun!

Make sure you let your buddies know your using light line! Otherwise, this might happen......Don't worry most people learn quick not to lock down the drag when using light line. Others need their hand slapped.

post-139479-0-68815700-1365518743_thumb.jpg

That was this Sunday morning. I went to take a picture of a Triple, and when I snapped the pic that guy cracked one off. It broke right below the blood knot. My guess is I didn't moisten it enough when tying the knot and I burned the flouro. 

The problem no one has mentioned is the the heavy line pulls different in the water column off the boards. I found with the heavy line there are times you cant catch fish because the lure isn't getting down to them. I have a couple of poles with 10# power pro that's the size of #2 test, and some times those are the rods catching all the fish.

That's because the lures are pulling differently because of the line size, normally deeper. Some times its because they see the bigger line, but not always, as there are days I cant catch anything on the power pro either because the water is clearer and will be catching them on the mono #8 test. My favorite is 10# big game, or andies.

But I think the size of the line effects the way the lure gets down to the fish more than anything.

Point is you need (that's what you tell her) lots of set ups to try different things! :)

PK....your absolutely right. We only fish BT for a few weeks in April until the Kings show up in Canada, and then nothing else really matters! So, since we are fishing these fish early enough we can stick to the beach in <10' of water. We use 15lb main line to help float the sticks a little so we can get in a little tighter if need be.