I-Bay

Pequod1

Please be advised that the Coast Guard is inspecting boats in I-Bay. Yesterday was the second time in the Bay for them and I was checked and passed. Since the requirements vary for the size of the boat, you must look up your vessels' requirements on the CC website. And don't forget that you must wear a life jacket if the boat (I believe less than 21')  is not anchored. In other words, even if you are drifting and fishing, you better have it on.

All recreational boats must carry one wearable lifejacket (Type I, II, III or Type V lifejacket) for each person aboard. A Type V lifejacket provides performance of either a Type I, II, or III lifejacket (as marked on its label) and must be used according to the label requirements. Any boat 16ft and longer (except canoes and kayaks) must also carry one throwable lifejacket (Type IV lifejacket).

Lifejackets must be

Accessibility

• Wearable lifejackets must be readily accessible.
  • You must be able to put them on in a reasonable amount of time in an emergency (vessel sinking, on fire, etc.).
  • They should not be stowed in plastic bags, in locked or closed compartments or have other gear stowed on top of them.
  • The best lifejacket is the one you will wear.
  • Though not required, a lifejacket should be worn at all times when the vessel is underway. A wearable lifejacket can save your life, but only if you wear it.
  • Throwable devices must be immediately available for use.

Inflatable Lifejackets

more regulations control  ,,,  plus the big thing is they want the DWI,,, remember 2 beers your may be locked up...  No joke big revenue stream...  They safety check gets them on your boat.  be Aware,,, they wrote more tickets last year in record numbers  (BWI)... .08 is boarder line of 0 tolerance,,, not drunk.

Edited by drrambo

I had a strapped boat seat cushion without a rope. The only thing checked on both occasions when I was boarded was if the straps were securely attached and there were no tears in the cushion. They really yanked hard on those straps! No mention of any rope needed.