Planer board line besides Dacron.

So I hear about this spectra line for planer boards but it's expensive and I had an idea for replacing Dacron with para cord. Para cord is 500 lb test and you can get in neon yellow 500' for less than $10. I know it's a thicker diameter and may absorb more water but my homemade boards pull really hard. So has anyone ever tried para cord for this? Or any suggestions

Tim in regards to the spectra would you be able to pull the board in by hand in an emergency without it cutting into your hands? I ask because on two occasions we had to pull my boards in quickly before running the line over (hung bottom, neutral and wind). I'm not sure if I had to do it again I could using spectra.

Not that I want to ever do that again.

Spike

Just get some 200 lb test mono used for salt water it is very abrasion resistant and low stretch and you can get a bunch of it on inexpensively. They use it quite a bit for outriggers on the ocean.

Tim in regards to the spectra would you be able to pull the board in by hand in an emergency without it cutting into your hands? I ask because on two occasions we had to pull my boards in quickly before running the line over (hung bottom, neutral and wind). I'm not sure if I had to do it again I could using spectra.

Not that I want to ever do that again.

Spike

We keep a pair of work gloves handy for mishaps like this. Very handy when you have to pull up a rigger ball.  Dave