Leadcore or Copper?

Just trying to get some opinions on what i should add to my trolling arsenal.  Right now i run two downriggers (2 rods on each) with a wire dipsy off both sides of the boat.  I mostly fish Keuka and occassionally Seneca when the weather is calm.  I know a lot of guys say dipsies are their first lines in the water, but i've never really had much luck with them to be honest (maybe i'm doing something wrong).  Anyways i was wondering if it would be worth it to get either leadcore or copper for fishing Keuka and Seneca, or if i should just stick with the setup i have now? 

It depends on what your target depths are.  If you want to get deeper than 40 feet or so I would say copper is the way to go.  A full core will get you to about 40-maybe 50 feet depending on what you are pulling behind it.

I've got both copper and leadcore on my boat, and each has its time and place.

With my leadcore I run the 18lb test, with 30lb power pro backing, and usually a 12lb or 14lb leader.  I think the lighter, smaller diameter leadcore actually sinks better than the heavier, larger diameter.  Most of the fishing I do with leadcore happens in May and early June when I'm targeting fish on thermal bars, steelhead, cohos, and some kings as well.

If you're going to consistantly fish below 40 feet, then I think copper is better choice.  Depending on how deep you want to go you could run the 37lb or the 48lb test copper.  I run the 48lb as that is pretty much the standard on Lake O.  When I took my captain's class there were some Seneca Lake fisherman there, and they were running 300 and 400 coppers for lakers in the summer, I assume there were running the 48lb.

The thing about copper though, it's not very exciting to catch fish on it under 10-15lbs.  I would much rather try to keep my riggers and dipsies going. 

Is this a presentation that you are planning on running on planer boards, or right in the chute?

I agree with what Chris said above. I run the 18# and 27# leadcore because the smaller diameter dacron sheath sinks faster. The higher test ratings refer to the dacron sheath strength, not necessarily the amount of lead in the line. Maybe buy a full core and split it into a 7 color and a 3 color or two 5's, etc...and see how you like it.  The cores are deadly on the boards, when the fish are up in the water column.  Since the copper sinks faster, you reach depth quicker with less line out, thats a plus for deeper fishing. Maybe try the split cores and a 300 copper and see what you like.  IMHO they are both a good stealth presentation. Like anything else its all personal preference!!

Thanks for the advice guys.  I am planning on running it in the chute, i do not have planer boards right now.  I think i might go with a full core and split it into a 7 color and a 3 color as DJ717 suggested and see how that goes.  Are there local shops that sell leadcore or do you have to order it online?

You could order it through Cabalas but Gander Mountain carries it ...not sure where you are located but other fishing outlets have it too.

Bass Pro carries it as well, but my experience is they don't have much of a knowledge base when it comes to trolling and I would rather buy from a local shop, if you have one near you.  You will get better info/advice and support your neighbors.  I went in Bass Pro just looking at reels awhile ago and the guy asked me what I wanted it for and I told him copper. He didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Other option that I didn't see discuss is the new Suffix 832 leacore with the spectra sheath.  Smaller diameter and more sensitve than the dacron verson discussed.  Will also get 8 feet per color versus about 5 feet for the dacron sheathed leadcore.  Heaviest test available so far is 18 lb but would work fine for salmon.

Guys, you might want to wait a couple weeks before making any kind of investment based upon presumed sink rates as illustrated in this thread...leadcore, new leadcore and copper.   There is new technology being released on the market that will show exactly where all of this stuff really sinks to.   There WILL be data forthcoming from a variety of sources on what does what.    From what has been discussed, all of us will be quite surprised..

With that said, leadcore and copper do not fish the same way, each has their own action.   I would say leadcore is only relevant in the top 40 feet of water, and tends to snake and not track straight behind your boards like copper will.   It has a difficult time fishing in any kind of current...copper does much better in those situations.    

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=514077205296518&set=a.189136177790624.36335.175575315813377&type=1&theater

Edited by profishient1

• 3 weeks later...

how do you attach copper to planner boards I see some people use rubber bands? I guess I don't understand?

The most typical way of attaching your line to your planer board when pulling either leadcore or copper is to let ALL of your leadcore or copper out that you have spooled up on the reel.   Let another 20-30 feet of backer out and then pinch your backer line into the release on the planer board.   Some also attach a rubberband to keep braid from slipping in the planer board release.   We use backer mono which does not slip, so no rubberband is required.

You would need to decide what your ideal targeted depth would be for that reel, and spool up the appropriate amount of copper or leadcore to reach that desired depth at your average trolling speed.   You cannot snap a planer board release directly on to copper or leadcore, both will wear quickly and then break.