up grade to a BaHa

shinintimes

looking to up grade to a 1990 or newer 30 ft or less baha from a 1990 245 penn yan would like any pro's or con's also would like to know if you can troll with a single screw (one engine) to save gas... thank's for any and all info !!!

If the boat is setup right, they are a pleasure to fish off of. For an older model I would suggest buying from a reputable seller and demand a marine survey as part of sales agreement. Most generally a twin screw is fished with one motor. Normally you run a sea bag from the opposite side of the operating motor. Rotate motor use to keep hours similar. I fished a 27' single screw Baha 12 seasons before I bought my current boat. I didn't see a considerable increase in fuel consumption with the twin, although, I normally don't push it on plane either. Cruising around 3200 rpm's is fine with me and it conserves fuel. Hope this answered your question....see ya on the oak

I don't have any experience with that brand, but they are well thought out layouts for the Great Lakes and are very popular.

As for trolling on one engine, thats the program to rotate hours to lengthen the amount of time between oil changes and conserve gas. In extreme sea conditions, trolling on both engines can give great control.  

I too have been looking at Baha's in the 28ft range, 2 different ones in the last week. Have found out the single screws are a royal pain to handle in tight situations. Both were real nice boats, just not sure if I personally want the fuel bill that comes with a 28fter not being a charter capt yet.

Shinintimes,

I have a 1997 Baha 285 Fisherman with twin 350 Mercruiser's. I troll all the time with one engine.Alternating between trips to keep hours even.  Never have any issue with boat controll. Now I also have hydraulic steering with oversized rudders and that helps tremdously! I have driven other Baha's and without the bigger rudders and there are occasions where I had to start the other engine for better controll.

As for fuel consumption for the season I average less than 3 gallons per hour of operation! Not bad for a 11000 lb rig! So doing the math in a 6 hour trip I am less than 18 gals. Now out of Oswego we typically don't have long runs  (< 3miles). It is when your running where you will burn the fuel. 

From a fishablity standpoint I couldn't be happier. Handles big water very well and trolls great. The only complaint would be when I have 6 customers and a mate it can be a bit "tight". I  have customized the interior layout and removed the back to back seats and installed 2 long benchs along with a captains chair. 

Another consideration when looking at them is the height of the hardtop. Be sure you have enough "head" room. Not all the Baha's have the same height to the hardtop. I raised my hardtop as I couldn't stand under it without leaning my head to the side. Now I have enough clearance that a guy 6' plus can easily walk under the top without bumping his head. 

My advise would be to  stay away from the single screw boats. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

Primetime Pete

I got my Baha last year and agree with what Primetime Pete said, it is a great boat to fish off of and i would estimate i was burning around 2 gallons/hr last year.  If you want to fish off one let me know, I'm in Oswego too...

Dan

Thanks Dan .... just got back from oak orchard only got to fish a half a day Saturday had to meet the new owner of my penn yan but we got 13 browns all nice size biggest was 10ibs 3 Atlantic's biggest was 12ibs and 1 small coho Paul