Sodus Bay Help/Chaumont Bay Report

Kingfisher06

Happy New Year everyone!

Chaumont Bay has been red hot for perch. The size has been great this year in comparison to last. The average perch being around 8". Lots of accidental pike hookups on the perch rods. I saw a 10.5 lb walleye weighed in yesterday at the Harv's fishery where we sell our perch. The guy said it hit his perch rod and he had lost a 5lber at the hole a little earlier. A few days ago the perch quit and I was staring down my hole looking for the big pike that had probably chased them out and I saw a monster walleye swim by. Remember that last year the pending state record walleye was caught through the ice in Chaumont.

I'm looking for any info on the ice conditions in Sodus Bay. Might try a waterfowl hunt two weekends from now. Any help is much appreciated.

The ice is dictating where you can go right now. On tuesday I was told that after I left the ice two guys lost their shanty, pail of perch and all their gear through the ice and were jumping cracked ice to get back to shore. They were on a good 4" of ice but the combo of a stiff sw wind and a new 10" of wet snow broke up alot of the ice that was being fished that day.

We have been parking on Pt. Salubrious Rd about half way down and walking out to Johnson Shoal about 2000 ft out in 14-19 foot of water. Follow the locals out on the ice so you can avoid bad ice, trespassing ordeals etc.

ill cross paths with you some day and thankyou in person.i guess ill ice fish fair haven this weekend then.if you havent visited ice shanty page latley check it out,lots of updated places to drown a spike!!let me know when the ice is good up there again and ill meet you there with some canadian refreshment if you want;and so long 4 now;john

• 2 weeks later...

That pending record is a crock of you know what. I personally know the guy who caught it. He knew it wasn't a state record days after it was caught but he let everyone around here think it was. Worst part is he didn't even catch it on his own rod. The guy doesn't ice fish that much. Im not taking anything away from the massive walleye he caught but some thigns he did were somewhat fraudulent according to the fisherman's code.

That pending record is a crock of you know what. I personally know the guy who caught it. He knew it wasn't a state record days after it was caught but he let everyone around here think it was. Worst part is he didn't even catch it on his own rod. The guy doesn't ice fish that much. Im not taking anything away from the massive walleye he caught but some thigns he did were somewhat fraudulent according to the fisherman's code.

Who cares if it was the record or not. If you know the guy, get the pictures and post them. I want to see that slob.

Worst part is he didn't even catch it on his own rod. The guy doesn't ice fish that much. Im not taking anything away from the massive walleye he caught but some thigns he did were somewhat fraudulent according to the fisherman's code.

Geez lawle, that's kinda harsh. So what if it wasn't his own rod. When my friends go out with me on my boat, even first timers, using my gear, the fish they catch are still their own. We take turns on who gets the first strike, then it goes in order on who gets the next one. I can't take any credit for the guys using my stuff when they catch a fish. It's their fish and kudos to their ability to land it.

Heck, let's go fishin and enjoy whatever we catch. ;)