Grease traps

I picked up one of those grease traps from big weenie, I've heard a lot of good stuff about them. My question is what is the best thing to run behind it? I was thinking a peanut or a fly. Also would it be best to run off a leadcore or copper or can u use them off a rigger

Edited by SMC481

You mean trollng with an Alabama rig?   Peanut?

Who's pulling a chain now ?  :hi:  I put Big Weenies cut bait heads (mini) using Berkley minnows (smelt) in the head behind the traps, which I run off off Dipsey Divers, & like Jason said, deep

Marty,

Thanks for the translation!   Learning the trolling lingo is sort of like learning about flyfishing though there isn't much written about trolling!

The greese trap sort of looks like linked perch spreaders.   Where do you get them? or How do you make them?

Has anyone added leaders to the A rig  to give the school of bait more of a 3D effect?

Jack

:smoke: ............... pike hook "lears", beads, joined with wire leaders, some mylar tape bait fish shaped, sized, swivel, snap swivels.......OH GREAT JACK !...........more things to buy & try  :P

Please let me know how it works! :rofl:   Our economy needs your help!

For now I'll be happy to get my DR on the boat and see if I can fish it w/o ending up tangled in the prop or worse! :thinking:   I got the mount parts cut out yesterday and just need to drill and assemble.   Once the mount is assembled, mounting it on the boat should be interesting.   My goal is to catch just one fish this year while trolling.   If I do better than that I'll be thrilled!

Jack

Jack,

Just remember to brace it good underneath....i once saw a guy from PA out on Seneca  during the Trout Derby who got his cannonball wrapped up on bottom and it took the downrigger and a section of his fiberglass transom right out of the boat... to the bottom. It's not just the torque from the ball going up or down you have to worry about :)

Edited by Sk8man

The grease trap is basically a converted "Umbrella Rig" from salt water fishing.  They have been used on the Atlantic for many years with a variety of teasers and lures.  Only problem is getting too close to bottom and hanging up and getting two or more large fish trying to go in different directions

Edited by Sk8man

Jack,

Just remember to brace it good underneath....i once saw a guy from PA out on Seneca  during the Trout Derby who got his cannonball wrapped up on bottom and it took the downrigger and a section of his fiberglass transom right out of the boat... to the bottom. It's not just the torque from the ball going up or down you have to worry about :)

I'm kind of a "glass half empty" type and having been around boats a lot, I have thought of a lot of ways to tangle that DR  :(    The mount will have 4 bolts holding it to the transom with various chunks of aluminum to spread the load on the transom.   It's probably a bit too heavy duty but I have the materials :)    10 bolts to hold the whole thing together and 4 FH screws to hold the mounting plate to the mount.   The factory mounting plate looks like the weak link!

I'm also thinking about power and will post a seperate thread on that :thinking: