Apex lures, size and how to rig?

I have read on some sites that the Apex lures have produced some salmon and rainbows. I have never used them and was wondering what size are commonly used on lake Ontario and how do most people rig them. DO you use them straight up, on the riggers, leadcore, dipsy's. Do you use them behind flashers, how far behind the flasher.

How fast do they troll?

I am going to buy some smaller one for lakers and landlocked atlantic on the local lakes here.

thanks

sturgeonx

Here is the sizing chart for folks to look at:

I would be using sizes 3 and 4 on the Finger Lakes....Possibly a size 2 as well. As far as rigging them....I've never tried them so I don't know how they do speed wise (which in my view is critical to setting them up). They should however work well on leadcore at slower speeds or top lining for browns way behind the boat though (esp the smaller #2 and 3's)

post-145411-0-14080800-1365873074_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Sturgeonx Hot Spot Apex were the first salmon lures I ever bought over 35 years ago & they're still the most consistent lure I own & i have just about every lure make going. I've been Pro staff for Hot Spot close to 30 years & I've fished Lake O from Port Darlington in the east to Port Weller in the west but mostly out of Port Credit. For the last few seasons my top producers have been a 5.5 Rocket, 5.5 Popcorn, 5.5 Chartreuse Haze, 5.5 Stinnson, 5.5 Glow Jelly UV & 4.5 chrome/green scale.The last two seasons I've been running them with the Agitator flashers. Those flashers won't interfere with the action of any lure. I've had good luck directly behind the Agitator & I've also ran two Agitator in tandem off the ball & either the Rocket or Popcorn 5 feet above & behind the Agitators & that's been my top producer for two years. I run them clean either off the rigger or off a dispy. You can run them off a regular flasher. One thing I stress is don't change the leader length of the Apex which is 5 feet. If you change the line keep the same leader length. The one Apex I forgot to mention was the 4.5 & 5.5 Watermelon. If nothing else works that one will. It's been one of my top producers for salmon & steelhead for years.

Edited by Blue Knight

• 3 weeks later...