ive been fishing everyday that weather allows for the last 2 weeks and ive only caught 2 browns and 2 lakers trolling in the lake.   im using a mix of bright and natural color stick baits.  im trolling around 2.2 to 2.6   from everything im hearing i should be catching more   i think my speed is wrong or something   can someone help any advice would be greatly appreciated    thank you

Use light fluoro leaders with very small black solid ring swivels (8-10 lb test and set your drag lighter to accomodate the lighter leader) Run your lines WAY BACK (as far as practical) Troll very slowly and once in awhile BRIEFLY shift in idle for a moment and then back in gear...they will often hit when you re-engage. Do "S" curves as often as practical. Run small lures in the Spring (sticks ( e.g J-7 rapalas etc.and spoons 2-3 inches). Blue and silver Rapalas often work well on browns but the occasional smallmouth bass is also inadvertently caught on them in shallow. This will work OK on any of the Finger Lakes or Lake O (but just hope a big Chinook doesn't hit the light leader with your drag set too tight) :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I find that the most important thing is to check the way your bait runs over the side of the rail vs the speed you choose to troll,,,especially body baits as they can get out of tune even after only 1 fish on it.   Make sure they are running true.   Some body baits run better faster, some slower.  If you are mixing spoons and body baits make sure they both are running satisfactorily.  Heavy spoons run poorly at slow speeds and light spoons spin out at faster speeds, and most body baits have a preferred speed range.  If you are running different brands/styles of body baits it is especially important to check their action to make sure all of them can run in your spread at the same time.