No Ethanol Fuel.......

Kuba

Just out of curiosity, what type of fuel do you guys use for your outboards? Read some stuff yesterday about ethanol and how it acts as a "filler" in regular gas etc...

Later on did some research to find out that there is many gas stations in Ontario that sell ethanol free gasoline. While buying smokes at my neighbourhood ESSO spoke to the owner of the gas station and agreed that his premium gasoline (91) DOES NOT contain ethanol. I guess i know what i will use from now on in my 50HP 2 stroke Merc.

Spoke to guy at Petro Canada gas station, 94octane gas is without ethanol... will continue asking....

Edited by Kuba

Certainly appears that ethanol free gas is the way to go for outboards and small engines of nearly all types. Around here it is somewhat hard to find and expensive. I have  a 60 gallon tank for my outboard so I pretty much use whatever I can get but I also run triple strength marine Stabil year round at every fill up and keep my tank topped off all the time as well :) with the hope of minimizing condensation in the tank.

Sk8, 60 gallon??? ouch!!! I drive a chevy 2500 quad cab, long box with a 6L V8, costs me 9.40$ to drive it 100km ;P i converted it to run propane and gasoline:) pay 47$ to fill it up:)

..... apparently it is not good for all carburated engines.

For smart phone users there is a free App called "Pure Gas" that shows all the gas stations that sell ethanol free gas by your location. Not sure if its available in Canada. I got lucky there is a Delta Sonic about 3 miles away from me that has two dedicated pumps (91 Octane) that are clearly marked ethanol free. I now only use it in all my small motors and boats.

You're really lucky Kuba I have a 350 V-8 Triton (Ford Expedition) to pull the boat.....when I'm pulling it I get about 9 or 10 mpg  (and that's probably downhill :)  I have looked up the gas stations near me and most that were indicated on the Internet...no longer have it (or are out of the gas business). Luckily on the 135 Optimax outboard I can go all day on about 3-5 gals. of gas (using my 9.9 for most of the trolling).

Edited by Sk8man

Yes thanks.... I live in Canandaigua so Geneva is about 20 miles and Ovid is close to 40 something. Maybe I'll do it while over fishing Seneca though when in Geneva. There used to be a couple places here in town but I' don't think there are any now...hope some here proves me wrong :)

pure-gas.org

6 Selected Pure Gas Stations in New York City Brand Octane Name Street Address GPS* Canandaigua UNBRANDED 89 Dobbs Family Auto Srv 115 West Ave N42.88561 W77.28691 Canandaigua UNBRANDED   German Bros Marina 3907 W Lake Rd N42.83780 W77.28201 Canandaigua UNBRANDED 89 Seager Marine 811 S. Main St. N42.87620 W77.27328 Canandaigua UNBRANDED 87 Seager Marine Service 21 Parrish St N42.88000 W77.27673 Canandaigua UNBRANDED 89 Sutter's Marina 808 S Main St N42.87620 W77.27328 Canandaigua UNBRANDED 91 Tom's 267 S Main St N42.88369 W77.27850

*GPS coordinates may be located from the supplied address, and may not be accurate. View the station details.

© 2013 Sam Hokin

There's a marina in Youngstown that recently just changed ownership.  I'll be slipping my boat there and they also have a fuel station.  The gas is Ethanol free and supposedly will only be about 10 cents more than what you'd pay at a normal roadside station.  The tank on my boat is 118 gallons, so filling it up is terrifying.

Lakes Gas in Penn Yan (down near McDonalds) has 89 non-ethanol with a sign out front that reads "your boat will love you for it" I have used 87 and 89 with ethanol and noticed a huge difference when switching to the 89 non-ethanol. The motor idles & trolls a lot smoother also has more punch to it. 

Found this on another website might help a little;

Ethanol absorbs water from the atmosphere. Fuel with 10 percent ethanol absorbs up to 50 times more water than standard gasoline. Gas tanks that vent to the atmosphere increase the likelihood that moisture will be absorbed into the gas tank. 

When water gets into the fuel it separates into two distinct layers: a thick layer of gasoline mixed with a little ethanol on top, and a thinner layer on the bottom consisting of water mixed with most of the ethanol. And it doesn’t take much water for this to happen—phase separation occurs in a gallon of 10 percent ethanol blend with just 3.8 teaspoons of water.

• 2 months later...
Guest )()()()()()()()()()()()()(

What is to be said about older engines that were built before all these ethanol issues?  I have a 88' StarCraft Select 191s with a 4.3L 205hp mercruiser, should I really be concerned about ethanol?  Sorry for my ignorance, this is my first boat...I'd like to have it a few seasons tho.

Hi S k 8- Rushco gas and hardware has 91 octane non ethanol for$4.20 / gallon in Rushville. You probably drive right by it on your way to Keuka. Is on side street so little hard to find. Not open Sunday's.

Thanks Guff. You are exactly right... my buddy Jim lives out that way and we get it there. As usual you are right on target with your information bud. :) Good luck with the jigging...

I just payed like 4.06 at fast track on east main in Rochester....just be prepared to fight off the homeless! It's right off the east main exit on inner loop

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app....Doug