Sodus shakedown 4/13/13

We did the maiden Voyage out of Sodus today.  I didnt want to do the shakedown in the dark so we got a late start.  I met my brother at his house at 6.  We checked and double checked everything, towed the boat to the point and filled her up with fuel, then launched at Krenzers by about 7.  After some minor hiccups, we were pulling out of the channel and headed west. 

I had just got my spread out by the time we were between the lighthouse and the trailer park when we took a shot on a gold and orange plug... so I reset that line ANNNNNND the engine stalled.  It took me a minute to figure out what was going on with the engine, by which time I had drifted over on of my planer board lines- "Oh crap".  We were able to clear most of the lines pretty quickly as we drifted, but a few were wrapped in the planer board line which was wrapped in the rigger.  Ugh, what a mess.  I must have looked like a complete ameatur out there, and 2 other boats did a good job of working around me.  After about 1/2 hour or so, we had the engine figured out and were setting back up.   Sadly, by the time that happened it was well after 8 and most of the good action was starting to slow.  We did manage a few more hits on bright colored sticks, with one nice big fat laker in the mix as well.  We did most of our action around Boller Pt.  The water is cold; the warmest I found was 41 degrees, and it was mud puddle dirty.

We called it quits relatively early and went to the dock to get the engine figured out.  With some minor adjustments and a few choice words, I think we got her squared away.  The boat is all tucked in nicely at Krenzers just waiting for me now!

How frustrating-  we did alot of work to get the boat ready this year to avoid this exact situation.  I suppose you cannot anticipate some of the issues until she is under way though.  And now I see why everyone always calls it the shakedown.  Hopefully next trip out I can just worry about fishing?!?!?!?