smelt at art-park,lewiston

john1947

I just heard the smelt are running at the park.Ill be down wednesday night.I went there last year but hit the run at the end.Caught some smelt but  hope for a better run this year.Hope to see you all there.

It's a long walk down the stairs but it is safe.

I was at the Lewiston Docks last night. Grand total of 52 smelt from 8:30-11:30. Everyone left at 10:30. I heard the same thing, but it wasn't happening. Water is dirt brown and too cold. They did get some last Thursday, just before the river clouded up.

Hi we  went last night at Art-park and got our limit by 1000 PM.Smelting started running about 9.00.I also found dipping was  better without using any lights.From what some locals told me the run just started and has about 10 days to go.I stayed at the motel in Lewiston down by the river. which has excellent rooms and very resonable

Thats good news...we are headed there sat. afternoon..Cook some venison loins and beans up in the park and head down at dark..Has the water cleared up any? It's kinda nice when you can see them coming at you. 3 years ago we were there at dusk cooking and watched 2 guys go down and they were back up with their limit in 15-20 minutes..I couldn't believe it when we got down there it was a constant school of fish along the shore that never stopped. 2 dips and we were done..We sat there for another 3 hours letting people borrow the nets to get what they wanted. People were filling everything they could find that would hold fish..That was the best I ever saw them run..

We did manage to limit..They were not running strong but they were steady..And yes they were VERY light spooky..

Had a blast though....Maybe next weekend again if they are still around..