Anybody use titanium wire leader?

When tying on your lure of choice does anybody tie the titanium leader wire instead of the "out of the package" steel leader with snap and barrel swivel? If so is there a knot you prefer to tie to your main line and to the lure?

Dennis

What species are you fishing for? I use 80 or 100# homemade fluorocarbon leaders for Pike. Its invisible and tough and you can make any length you want. I've caught plenty over 40" with no damage to the leaders. Forget about it for bluefish though. They can bite through steel.

I fish a lot in the St. Lawrence River near Cape Vincent. I'm not always fishing for Pike but they are always in the mix. Tying directly to my 10# florocarbon leader I have been bit off several times. I fish with 20# braid and attach 4' of floro to that. I have been using the micro leaders from Eagle Claw and they work fine but do get kinked in the net etc.I saw a TV program where they used titanium leader material and tied directly to their braid on one end and to the lure on the other just as if it were floro or mono. But I like your idea of 80# or 100# floro and I am going to try that. How do you think it will affect the casting and action of some smaller baits like X Raps or Husky Jerks?

Dennis

Hey Dennis, the swivel and snap serve a couple purposes and in my experience should always be used. First, the swivel: the main purpose of the swivel is to allow the leader and lure to rotate freely.  This will prevent the main line, leader and lure from twisting up and running foul.  I prefer a good heavy duty ball bearing swivel. The snap is really for ease of use when changing out lures.  If you tie directly to the lure, you will have to re-tie every time you do a lure switch out.  Regarding Titanium, I haven’t really heard good things about using it. I prefer Fluorocarbon, usually 80-100lb when fishing for ESOX species.  Fluorocarbon has a neutral buoyancy, light passes through it, and is extremely strong.  Regarding fishing knots, I like using the Palomar, Clinch knot, or improved Clinch knot.  Both are very strong and reliable if tied correctly.  Hope this helps. Good luck! Tim

Tim,

I do use a cross lock snap on the end of the floro. If I use a lure like a spoon or spinner I make sure I have a swivel in there somewhere. But using stickbaits or lures that track straight I try to go simpler and lighter is better theory.

Dennis

Without the swivel the fish can twist the line when rolling.The swivel will catch floating weeds that ride down your line and the lure is still clean to catch fish.Knots tied from one type line to powerbraid are not as strong as powerbraid tied with a Polymar knot to a swivel.I also use Fluorocarbon leaders in 80 or 100 lb test.

I use the du-bro nail-knotter tool...you can find it for like 14 bucks or so, I use it to tie 150 lbs. fluoro leaders and it works very well. With pike 80 lbs fluoro works well. Ive tied direct to 65lbs suffix on my pike setups...I tie a tight overhand knot in the fluoro leader, add a dab of superglue and pull tight with pliers. I then i tie my mainline to leader with an uni knot. 

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll experiment a little with this during the upcoming season.

Dennis

yes I use Boa titanium and use a barrel swivel and cross look and tie both with a figure 8 knot. Good luck.