Poor Man's Rod Holders

tlox

I was doing some reading about salmon fishing in Lake Michigan and heard about a michigan company that makes welded aluminum rod holders for a very good price. 

I ended up finding the website:  http://www.madsdocks.com/store/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=pm+pole+holders and took a flyer on the $18 pivot holder.  Guys say they are more than sturdy enough to hold a dipsy... so we shall see.  Apparently this company is a metal fab shop that makes custom dock systems and uses the scrap aluminum to fab rod holders. 

They also have Trees for under $50

Should have the rod holder in this week so i'll report back on the quality.

Didn't check the shipping on the trees... but the shipping is $12.95 for the holders.  I called them about the shipping and they can package multiple single holders in a box to save $$$. 

Quick update... got the holder the other day.... thing is rugged... definitely more than strong enough for  dipsy.  Pivots to about 15 degrees so not parallel with the water but definitely good enough.  I'm going to be adding a few more to the boat now that I see how well it's made

Those ones from Fishon look good too.  Here's a pic of the Poor Man's holder mounted

I did have to grind the front plate down just a little bit to get it to pivot a little farther for what I wanted for the Dispy rod position

IMG_20130421_1216252.jpg