500 Copper on tekota 800

Hey guys I was jus writing down some numbers for backing and copper using the "reel fill calculator" for an 800 tekota it says there's no way I can fit a 500 copper on this reel the copper alone takes up 118 percent of the reel lol? The reason I'm confused is u noticed attomik sells 800 tekotas with 500 copper and 150 yards of 50# pp backing, when I put the into the calculator is says 135 percent full??? Is that reel full calculator not accurate? Or do those reels hold more than the calculator says?

Thx for any help in advance guys

Cheers JB

http://www.glangler.com/

Half way down on the right side there's a link for a spread sheet,

U start with typing in ur reel capacity exg. 800 tekota 25# 530 yards

Then u fill in the sizes of line ur using its pretty simple, u jus have to remember its all in yards so u have to use ur calculated to transfers feet into yards. Check I out and let me know what u guys think

JB

I've got the same spreadsheet from the Great Lakes Angler website, I've played around with it a little, althgough  I've never put it into to use as of yet.

I understand all the math in the spreadsheet, but it may not be accounting for some things when actually applied, what that is I'm not sure, and that may cause it to be inaccurate.

Bottom line, what the guys above told you is solid information.  I'd go with that. 

Thx for the help guys! Im curious if I use the numbers from the reel fill calculator how accurate it will be I'm thinking that the reel won't be as full as most of use would fill it

Thx for the info guys

Send pics of your 30lb average Tim....lol.

Don't know about that, but here's a pic from last august

P1020918.jpg

that fish flipped the counter, went another 100+ on the counter before it finally stopped.  Lets just say the backing you suggest would have been, um.... insufficient for that one.

Don't know about that, but here's a pic from last august

P1020918.jpg

that fish flipped the counter, went another 100+ on the counter before it finally stopped.  Lets just say the backing you suggest would have been, um.... insufficient for that one.

Its a little different when the fish is pulling around 450' of copper and a planer board...cant compare that to a rigger or diver "run".    It doesn't appear that 1000+ plus has come off that 47lc Sealine either..still more than half full?  Hard to tell..

Attached is a 29 from the day before Wilson last year...450' copper 450' backer.    

http://www.coppertrollingwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/414735_377360985634808_775008599_o.jpg

Edited by profishient1

Holy lol my question has turned into a battle royal :P thx for the tips guys

Its a good question to ask, lots of debate on how much backer is enough.   Lots of guys try to compare a rigger or diver run from a fish with a copper run.   You have to remember the couple pounds of line and drag from a planer board slows those fish WAAYY down.   Not to mention, its important to have confidence in your line and drag.    Most setups are 50lb braid backer or at least 30lb mono backer, heavy copper line, 30lb+ copper leader and 40-50lb fly leader.   None of that is going to break on a 20 or 30lb class fish...just not going to happen unless the line is damaged.   Tighten those drags and save your arms, no need to just give a fish 800+ feet of line because it wants it.

400-500' of backer is plenty! I run all Okumas. I have Okuma Clarion 553s for my 450 coppers and they only have 300' of braid backer on them. There has been only a couple of occasions that i have been worried about being spooled (they have come from fishing it out on big boards) and a simple turn of the boat illiminated that worry. Think about this... there is guys squeezing 500' on the same reel with less then 100' of backer and fishing it as a chute rod. The most backing i have on any copper reel is 600' and its behind a 300' copper on an Okuma 55. It would fit another 100-200' more on it but it has been proven that its not needed. With that being said all of my coppers only have between 300-600' of backing.

To put it in perspective several hundred pound sharks are caught on 10 pound test line...for fresh water fishing there seems to a lot of "overkill" going on. As long as you have strong enough backing you let the boat and your drag setting do most of the work turning the fish around. I know a lot of folks get "spooked" by a chinook ripping out line and the drag making noise and there is the fear of ripping the hook out of their mouth (more likely with a rainbow though) but tightening down a reel with a 15-20 lb drag with  sufficient pound test backing isn't as "dangerous" as alluded to here sometimes.

400-500' of backer is plenty! I run all Okumas. I have Okuma Clarion 553s for my 450 coppers and they only have 300' of braid backer on them. There has been only a couple of occasions that i have been worried about being spooled (they have come from fishing it out on big boards) and a simple turn of the boat illiminated that worry. Think about this... there is guys squeezing 500' on the same reel with less then 100' of backer and fishing it as a chute rod. The most backing i have on any copper reel is 600' and its behind a 300' copper on an Okuma 55. It would fit another 100-200' more on it but it has been proven that its not needed. With that being said all of my coppers only have between 300-600' of backing.

Rob,

When you put the 450' copper on the Clarion 553 w/ 300 feet of backing did it fill the reel? I have one I am going to rig up and am just wondering how much (copper/backing) will fit? I am using 30# blood run copper and 40# Power Pro backing.

Thanks in advance.

Rob,

When you put the 450' copper on the Clarion 553 w/ 300 feet of backing did it fill the reel? I have one I am going to rig up and am just wondering how much (copper/backing) will fit? I am using 30# blood run copper and 40# Power Pro backing.

Thanks in advance.

Yes its full but Its 45# copper.