FYI.....Deal on sunglasses from a local business

I wanted to spread the word out to the LOU community. I was planning on taking a ride to BPS this week to try on some sunglasses. I happen to run into Mike Gustin this weekend at the marina. He owns Webster Eye Care, and he informed me he carried a huge selection of sunglasses. I was under the impression he only sold Maui Jim, but he tells me he also carries Costa, Wiley X, Oakley, Bolla, and a few other brands. Anyway, I went there last night and the selection was pretty impressive. He wanted me to let you guys know that if you are in the market for a pair of sunglasses he will offer us fishermen 30% off in his store. He is a small business owner, and I know we all like to support these places when we get the chance. 

I ordered the Fisch 580g. I need large frames for my head. The Fisch fit great and offered a lot of protection while netting, which is a huge concern of mine. I went with the silver frames and the silver lens.

I also grabbed a pair of Maui Sport sunglasses for driving. Those are really light, and fit great too.

Again I want to state that without going and trying on a bunch I would have not known which ones fit the best. A lot of them fit OK, but when I put the Fisch on I knew they were the ones.

Edited by Yankee Troller

Stuart Mackenzie: "Would ya look at the size of that kid’s head! It’s a virtual planetoid and it has it’s own weather system! Looks like an orange on a toothpick!

I’m not kidding, that boy’s head is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts! Aye, now that was offsides, now wasn’t it? He’ll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow."

I also have an enormous noggin...

Stuart Mackenzie: "Would ya look at the size of that kid’s head! It’s a virtual planetoid and it has it’s own weather system! Looks like an orange on a toothpick!

I’m not kidding, that boy’s head is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts! Aye, now that was offsides, now wasn’t it? He’ll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow."

I also have an enormous noggin...

:rofl:

Edit: Got a call back today - everything is good. 

Rick, do you know based on when you were there if they had the man-o-war in stock? I assume the fisch was there since you bought them. 

Thanks

Edited by carpedium

Rick thanks for putting this out .My wife has been looking for sun glasses for 2 years now and could not find anything small enough for her.We spoke to Mike over the phone and he said he would spend the time to find her the right frames and boy did he after 2hrs of trying frames she got a pair of Maui jims that look and feel great!!! Customer service yea APlus in my book plus a discount shop local its good for everyone.

Thanks J&J

Carp.....I don't know if they had those frames. Call and ask for Mike. Like J&J said.....he will answer your questions and he's very knowledgeable. Also, let him know about not getting called back. He might make it right.

Stopped in to Webster Eye Care Today and picked up a pair of Costas - Corbina with the 580G Blue Mirror Lens. Everyone was really friendly. Brad helped me out with trying on about a dozen different configurations. Very helpful to have such a huge selection on site. Ran into Mike on the way out and talked fishing with him for about 20 minutes- great guy to shoot the breeze with. Having evening hours helped out a whole lot since that would have been the last time in a while I could make it out there with my wife (aesthetic consultant) given the current work schedule. 

Overall very happy with the purchase - a great pair of sunglasses at a very nice price. Would recommend webster eye care to anyone. 

Thanks Rick

Edited by carpedium

Yes, best when you go to the small optician and you get one on one carring service.If you need prescription sunglasses you get the correct lenses, not a factory close lense that some big stores will fit you with to save costs out of their pocket.I'm lucky, my wife is an optician and I get Wiley X Sunglasses with 98 percent polarization, no glare & scratch resistant coatings for free, normal cost over $400.

• 10 months later...

I was there today and mike was great, ordered a pair and will pick them up this week. Thanks yankee!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No problem! My brother just went there last week and ordered two pairs. I love my Costa's I got there last Srping.

And those of you that do not know, ( and don't get mad at me Mike), Webster Eye Care is a HUGH supporter of the Sodus Pro Am. along with other tournements along Lake Ontario. It's always nice to support those that support us. That's what keeps the tournements rolling.

does he do eye exams on site or do you need to have a doctor prescription?

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes they do eye exams. Mike and his wife own the eye practice. They handle my brother an I for yearly exams.

Edited by Yankee Troller

• 1 month later...

And those of you that do not know, ( and don't get mad at me Mike), Webster Eye Care is a HUGH supporter of the Sodus Pro Am. along with other tournements along Lake Ontario. It's always nice to support those that support us. That's what keeps the tournements rolling.

I went today.  Great guy, great selection and like Rick, the Fisch 580G fit my melon best.

As stated Mike Gustin has been a supporter for many years to the fishing events many of us love to attend. An avid big lakes fisherman and very knowledgeable, Steph and I own about 6 pair of Maui Jims, great guy, great big guy that is lol The next time someone sees him ask him about the "soup noodle" he found in an A-TOM-MIK Fly package a few years back LMAO

Tom