Best fishing sunglasses

I am in the market for a good pair of sunglasses.  I have worn the walmart berkleys for the last few years and they work alright but scratch and break really easy.  The last pair I had I broke the ear piece off just by simply putting it between the sun visor and the head liner. Is there a pair of glasses out there that are at least scratch resistant, polarized, and a little better made?  I don't need a Rx lens so that shouldn't hinder my selection.

Thanks,

Chas

I guess it comes down to what your willing to spend ??? personally I've owned Revo, Ray Ban, Oakleys, Bass Pro, and a few other cheaper brands. I'm currently wearing Maui Jim and they are amazing !  The lightest optics ever. They have great coatings and have been very scratch resistant.

With most optics you get what you pay for so .....what are you in the market to spend. Yankee posted earlier in the AM about Webster eye having 30% off non-prescription glasses 

You can't just pick a brand. You need to try on different glasses to see what fits you best. I personally need an XL frame for my head. It was nice to try on glasses from different brands last night. I went with the Costa Fisch frame with 580g. 

I realize I need to try them on but I was just wondering brand wise and lens quality what people recommended.  I was looking to pay in the $200 or less range.

I like the look of the Oakley Flak jacket. But open to suggestions

Edited by Chas0218

You can get a great pair for that price. Which ever brand you go with try to stay away from glass lenses. They may look good, feel good at the moment.. but after wearing them awhile they will feel heavy and will want to slide when you perspire. Also, Make sure the nose and ear pieces are rubber to keep the shades in place when you sweat. Try on a pair of Polarized Oakley's.. all the lenses are High Impact resistant and High Definition (HD) which you will find out you can actually see better than your own eyes and they are killer on seeing into the water. The "Pit Bull" and "Straight Jack" are angler specific but they do carry a ton of cool frames that fit all face shapes. Also, if you are trying on a pair and they are not polarized the lens can be changed. Bottom line you get what you pay for in most situations.  There is a Oakley Store at the Destiny Mall in Syracuse and at the Galleria Mall in Buffalo. 

http://www.oakley.com/store/products/men/sunglasses/polarized

I hope this helps!

Jeff

Also, Make sure the nose and ear pieces are rubber to keep the shades in place when you sweat.

I also wanted to make sure of this. ^^^^^  The pair I have now doesn't have either, and boy do they want to slide on your face when you perspire.

Definitely lower than what your budget is, but I picked up a pair of Flying Fisherman Mavericks online for around $20.  They are durable, and have polarized polycarbonite lenses that are pretty scratch resistant.  They've lasted last season just fine and are on deck again for another year.

I have been looking for some new ones too.  One thing I noticed last time I was looking for my current pair is that not all polarizing film is the same level of dichroism.  I found that I could use my current pair to cross the thru transmission of the potential new pairs to see which ones were most dichroic.  Of course, I am always looking for the 20$ pairs because I always seem to break the ones that cost more. 

Costa 580's or look at Ocean Waves... only problem with the Waves is finding a place to try them on... I still have a pair of Waves with lenses that are 15 years old... I am not certain that my Costa lenses will last that long before the mirrored finish will delaminate.

UpGrady, on 17 Apr 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:I am not certain that my Costa lenses will last that long before the mirrored finish will delaminate.

Not to worry Hans. Costa has a great factory warranty and cust. service to match.  Another consideration when dishing out $200 for shades Chas.     8) :cool:

Kevin

After losing my $250 military pilot sunglasses (which I loved) over the side while netting a fish I've decided to stick with cheapos for fishing :lol:

The Costa mirrored finish does not hold up around the edges of the frame, mine are showing it after 3 years as well as my brother's.  My Ocean Waves never did it, the mirrored finish is perfectly intact around the edges and everywhere.  I will eventually send the Costa's back into the factory for replacement.  Both lenses are great for serious outdoor activities on water, I am merely commenting on the reality of what I have observed.

I like my Fishgillz. Around 50 bucks. They grab your temples and don't slide. Polycarbonate lenses are very durable. Owned my pair for 5 years now and no scratches, haven't flown off in not so screaming runs 45 mph in a center console. If they do ever come off my face, they float, and they are a vibrant RED, easy to see on a search mission. Many colors to choose, many sizes to fit heads, even my kraut skull. Penetrate the surface glare, but gotta rake em off like any to see the fishy finder.

Markpost-140268-0-28902800-1366246448_thumb.jpg

Fishgillz on the beak!

Edited by skipper19

UpGrady, on 17 Apr 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:I am not certain that my Costa lenses will last that long before the mirrored finish will delaminate.

Not to worry Hans. Costa has a great factory warranty and cust. service to match.  Another consideration when dishing out $200 for shades Chas.     8) :cool:

Kevin

Ya that is one thing I wasn't thinking about.

I like my Fishgillz. Around 50 bucks. They grab your temples and don't slide. Polycarbonate lenses are very durable. Owned my pair for 5 years now and no scratches, haven't flown off in not so screaming runs 45 mph in a center console. If they do ever come off my face, they float, and they are a vibrant RED, easy to see on a search mission. Many colors to choose, many sizes to fit heads, even my kraut skull. Penetrate the surface glare, but gotta rake em off like any to see the fishy finder.

Mark

That is one thing I like about my El Cheapos is being able to view the FF.  Anyone have any input with the costas, or mauis?

I have had Maui Jim's and Ray Bans in the past. Good quality and comfortable. I currently own Oakleys and Costas, both are worth every penny. I give the nod for comfort to Oakley and for sheer intense glare protection I give the nod to Costas.

Resist the temptation to go cheap, optical quality can vary from lense to lense as well as shatter protection--you only get one set of eyes.

Take advantage of Mike Gustin's offer in Webster and go try on a bunch. He's a good guy and into what he does.

I have had Maui Jim's and Ray Bans in the past. Good quality and comfortable. I currently own Oakleys and Costas, both are worth every penny. I give the nod for comfort to Oakley and for sheer intense glare protection I give the nod to Costas.

Resist the temptation to go cheap, optical quality can vary from lense to lense as well as shatter protection--you only get one set of eyes.

Take advantage of Mike Gustin's offer in Webster and go try on a bunch. He's a good guy and into what he does.

Vince,

Can you read the FF screen with either the oakleys or costas on?  I like being able to look at the screen without having to take off my sunglasses.