Best fishing sunglasses

I've owned Costas in polycarbonate and glass versions, and my current 580G Tripletails are just incredible optics. If you do go with polycarb, make sure that you don't leave them in your truck or car; I found out the hard way that excess heat will cause some odd distortions to occur, even if the lens looks good. As for a tendency for glass to be heavy, I highly recommend the new CablZ ZipZ lanyard. It fit snug without being tight and is really easy to adjust length, plus doesn't "tickle" my neck like cloth or string lanyards. Very nice product, and I love my glasses. I think that they were ~$160 online, but with a 30% discount, you may as well buy local and try them on first, like Yankee recommends.

The one recommendation that I've heard from multiple fishermen is to go with some form of the copper lenses and mirror finish for overall fishability. The Ocean Wave copper is called a backwater green lens, I think, and the Costa green and blue mirror 580s are base copper.

I highly recommend the new CablZ ZipZ lanyard. It fit snug without being tight and is really easy to adjust length, plus doesn't "tickle" my neck like cloth or string lanyards. Very nice product

I'm going to have to try that out. I have a pair of Maui's sitting on the bottom of the Lake, and I'd hate to have that happen again!

I had the Maui's and find that I was always pushing them back on and felf very heavy (glass lenses), had them stolen so that ended that, went to Sunglass Hut and ended up with a pair of "Spotters", also from Austraila, Plastic lens, wrap around for full vision and protection, model INK0709, cost was $100.  Also picked up a pair with glass lenses in amber color for shooting at a cost of $150 because of the glass lens, no complaints with either pair. 

The Woo Daves are a decent cheaper Polarized pair of glasses. Personally I like my Ray Bans. Polarized so well I can see the moss on sidewalks you cant normally see. Make sure you buy a pair of glasses straps I've lost many a pair of polarized glasses in the bottom of Lake O and streams

For the high-end stuff, I started out with some Orvis Tri-Spectrum's and they were good. Similar to the above, I found the Wave 580 lens from Costa to be superior. However, at the time that I got them, they only offered that technology in a glass and they were heavy plus were a bit too dark for very low light or heavy overcast conditions. I then purchased some Spotters in both the Copper / Amber lens and the Yellow. They fit better for me and better in very low light conditions. As I'm always looking at new technology, you may also wish to look at Haber:

http://www.habervision.com/content/about.html

Personally, I would recommend trying to grab a pair of the latest from Maui Jim, Costa and Haber. Take them out to the water on a sunny day and a cloudy day just to test the optics. You could go to the harbor or such and just try them on. Return those that you did not like.

Of course, a place like Bass Pro will have a variety of sunglasses to choose from. It may be helpful to get an idea regarding the frames in advance.

Many sunglasses in the more popular brands are also offered on eBay at deep discounts that are also new (i.e. you could figure out what you want and if it happens to be one of the more popular brands, frames & lens, you may be able to score them there for less).

Edited by tmag

• 2 years later...

I currently have Maui's, Oakley and revo's. It is hard to beat Maui's optics. I bought a new pair of revo's last month and I am really impressed with the lenses. They have the blue/gray color lens and they are nice. All Maui and revo's are polarized. If you are buying Oakley ask if they are polarized, some are some are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

While I agree with everyone's recommendation of Maui's, Costa's, etc. Also take a look at the models LLBean has to offer. They have pretty decent polarized stuff for a reasonable price, plus their warranty. I too am looking for some glass lens polarized shades. Leaning towards some Costa's from an online store with sick deals. PM me if you want more info on that site.

I too am in the market. I've owned two pairs of polarized Oakley flac jackets and really did like them a lot. That being said I want a glass lens this time around. I think I'm going with the Smith Backdrop. I do have a question tho. The frame color I want to get doesn't have an option for a mirrored finish on it. Only the black frames are able to have the mirrored finish lens. How big of an impact will I see by not going with the mirror finish? No matter what the lens will be polarized copper. Just will be mirrored or regular.

Don't forget about Webster Eye Care if you're in the market for a nice pair of Sunglasses. They can do prescription and have name brand shades there. Mike has been around the fishing scene for a while, and will give you a discount if you tell him you're a fisherman and saw this on LOU.

whats next ? your lucky underware?   i run the revo's with glass due to saltwater they clean easy with speido ,t shirt or any other cloth without scratching , or smearing,unless you wipe with the back of the speido.  :mooning: .with plastic ya gotta rinse with fresh water ,not a easy ting to due if you run in the conditions i do..a tad heavy with glass but good quality frames that also grip my round tater head..

Now that this thread is back and I praised my polarized plastic frame Ray Bans last year. Since then I have changed my mind. I had the ray bans and liked them but after long days out on the lake the frames flat out hurt my head to the point I would get a headache. The lenses were great though. After them I tried Oakleys and although they seemed good in the store they did not stay firmly on my face and the lenses were not great at all compared to the RBs. I tried Bolles and Wiley X's that my dad and brother had after that and though the frames were very comfortable the lenses were awful and I mean terrible. I finally tried out the Costas and ended up going with the Saltbreak's in tortoise with copper 580p lenses. Not only are they as comfortable as the other top contenders but the lenses are incredible they have great UV blocking power (wore them in Antarctica in 24hrs of sun and ice no problem) and you can see into the water great. Even on shore they make everything just look nicer they brighten things up so much. Some people like the glass because it's a little more clear and scratch resistant but for the price difference I like my poly lenses just fine and have not been able to scratch them yet (knock on wood).

I love my Costa Fisch frames with the 580G, but on HOT days the weight from the glass does bother me a tad. My only other issue with them, and it could just be that frame, is they seem to fog up/steam up easy.

Going on my 3rd season with Costa Hammerhead 580g and I love them. Another plug for Webster Eye Care- they were great to deal with and i am thinking of visiting again this summer for a second pair

Never thought in a million years I would spend over $200 on a pair of sunglasses. But once i bit the bullet I went with Costa Tuna Alley's and absolutely love them!! Worth every penny IMO. The clarity is unmatched. The only pain I have with them is taking care of them like my kid lol

Edited by JakeyBaby

I love my Costa Fisch frames with the 580G, but on HOT days the weight from the glass does bother me a tad. My only other issue with them, and it could just be that frame, is they seem to fog up/steam up easy.

I have just started to notice that with my Saltbreak's if I'm wearing a hood fishing in the morning while it's still cool they'll randomly fog up for a couple seconds then it goes away.

I've been wearing Liquid Icon Hammerheads white with blue lenses. Love them. Hey are solid aluminum and don't hinge. You keep tweaking them until they fit perfect.