Best fishing sunglasses

Oakley Flak Jackets. They wrap around the sides and really keep the sun out. Plus the lenses are interchangeable. You can swap them on the fly from clear to tinted to blue etc. come polarized as well. And the lenses are ballistic rated. They were very popular over in the sand box.

Don't forget Smith Optics. They have glass lenses as well as a huge selection of polycarb lenses. Lifetime warranty to boot. The Backdrop, Chief and Touchstone are all designed with marine in mind. I just ordered the Backdrop with polarchromic polarized lenses. Can't wait.

I worked for Sunglass Hut for quite a few years before the Greece store left, and got a lot of experience with many manufacturers and lens types. Costa, Maui Jim, Revo and Oakley all offer premium lenses/frames with excellent polarization. The new angling specific lenses from Oakley seem to have an edge on cutting glare and being able to see into the water based on my experience with the other lenses. However, I haven't kept up with the other brands (other than Oakley) so if they have come out with new lens technology it could rival the new Oakley lenses.

As most have already stated, it really comes down to your budget, and seeing what frames and lens combination works best for you. Glass lenses will hold up to more abuse but can shatter and tend to be heavier. Poly lenses are lighter and most are shatter proof, but they can scratch easier.

I just went to Costa 580g, i love them.  A bit heavier because of the glass but very comfortable, and just remember you pay for what you get alot of the time.  I would also recommend trying on the frames first before buying.

I have a pair of Costas that I really like. Last year I broke a lens while on vacation. Costas warranty will not cover broken lenses unless it was some kind of defect and it was going to cost $100 to fix. Mine were the 400g lenses and I found a pair of 580p lenses someone had taken out of new pair and I had my local Costa dealer pop them in. So I would really watch the warranty on any glasses.

I get a kick out of this video. I would still probably buy another pair. www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbDXvh947DI

Don't forget Smith Optics. They have glass lenses as well as a huge selection of polycarb lenses. Lifetime warranty to boot. The Backdrop, Chief and Touchstone are all designed with marine in mind. I just ordered the Backdrop with polarchromic polarized lenses. Can't wait.

I'm ordering the same pair today. What tint did you go with? I'm leaning toward the Amber Polarchromic,

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yeah. Same lenses. Amber polarchromic/polarized. The website is not 100% clear about whether the 'chromics are polarized too. I called them, and they are.

Are you at all concerned that the Amber may not be dark enough when in very sunny conditions?

Does anyone have an opinion on Amber vs copper. I fish all day and in all conditions from overcast to very sunny and want the best overall tint. I'm concerned the Amber may not be dark enough in very bright conditions and that the copper will be to dark in low light conditions.

I just got my Smith Backdrops with the polarchromic glass lenses. I definitely don't think the copper will be too dark. When I first tried them on, I was not annoyed by the fact that I was wearing sunglasses inside, yet when I went outside they were super clear and offered enough tint. The change in tint was not noticeable. While driving in the afternoon low sun, they handled the glare remarkably well. The sides are sturdy and sprung to keep them on well. Overall, very nice so far.

I just got my Smith Backdrops with the polarchromic glass lenses. I definitely don't think the copper will be too dark. When I first tried them on, I was not annoyed by the fact that I was wearing sunglasses inside, yet when I went outside they were super clear and offered enough tint. The change in tint was not noticeable. While driving in the afternoon low sun, they handled the glare remarkably well. The sides are sturdy and sprung to keep them on well. Overall, very nice so far.

How much effect do you think the mirrored finish is having?

How much effect do you think the mirrored finish is having?

I am a big believer in mirrored lenses.  Maybe I am brainwashed by marketing, but it seems as though when I spend a long day in glaring conditions, my eyes are less dry and fatigued with mirrored lenses.  Just some background:  I spend my entire Spring, Summer and most of Fall on the water.  My winter is spent on the snow...ice fishing, skiing and patrolling.  I have had many pairs of glasses, and the mirrored seems to give me the best relief.  For instance, the glasses I wear for waterfowling are not mirrored, and my eyes are crushed at the end of the day.  Just a theory I have.