Planer mast single or double?

hawkeye625

Hi guys,

I have a crestliner sabre hardtop and am looking to add big boards to my arsenal.  I was wondering the pros and cons of 2 single masts or trees vs a double mast - and the rod holder configurations you would recommend to run either set up.  I'm leaning toward the tree style masts with rod holders attached to them but wanted to get some input before pulling the trigger.

Thanks,

Jeff

Double all the way with a hardtop, Single up front would be a pain, Plus you couldn't get to it. If your running trees, put your planner reels on them.  I use the berts trac system for my rod holders, All my rod holders are custom built like trax tec or berts except mine can turn 360 deg. And i also have cup holders that go in the trax, and tool holders. Some guys run there reels and pulleys off there top rails if you have them. Ask guys on here if they would post some pics of their rigs to give you an idea, 10 to 1 you'll go with something and you'll see somebody else's boat with a better idea.

Double all the way with a hardtop, Single up front would be a pain, Plus you couldn't get to it. If your running trees, put your planner reels on them.  I use the berts trac system for my rod holders, All my rod holders are custom built like trax tec or berts except mine can turn 360 deg. And i also have cup holders that go in the trax, and tool holders. Some guys run there reels and pulleys off there top rails if you have them. Ask guys on here if they would post some pics of their rigs to give you an idea, 10 to 1 you'll go with something and you'll see somebody else's boat with a better idea.

Thank you, that's pretty much what I was thinking but wanted some pros and cons.  I do have a hatch up front but that would be a pain.   

Jeff

I didn't want a single mast on both sides of the hardtop to crawl around to get up front. I bought a used double reel planer mast, got rid of the mast and mounted the reels right on the top back corners of my hardtop. They're higher than the mast, so planer lines off water better in rough seas and no masts in way.

I run mine off the hardtop as well, the reels are mounted on the rocket launcher at the back of the top and the pullys are mounted on the grab rail near the front of the hard top using some rail clamps.

Electric Cisco Planer Reel mounted to the Launcher

P1020855.jpg

Pully near the front of the HT mounted to the grabrail (the spring is now gone and the pullys are mounted directly to the rail clamp)

P4120008.jpg

Tim