I just bought a new boat it has 4 down riggers planner boards the works I do well for lakers on champlain  but not so good on  Ontario in the spring for browns how much line behind riggers ? how much line behind boards ? what kind of line? what stick baits are the best? what spoons are the best? do you just run sticks off the boards or can you run spoons with weight . I just orderd 15lb fluorocarbon line I hope that is good  .im planning to go to  Ontario next weekend 4 three days mexico? Oswego? Selkirk?  oh how deep should I be fishing and what depth of  water have they been in? I feel like a bone head asking all these questions but don't want to travel all the way there for a boat ride thanks for your time

100-125 ft behind planer boards.  farther out to the side the farther back.  shorter as you get closer to the boat.  typical spread i use is 125, then 100 then 75 ft on downriggers.  Fish in 8-15ft of water this time of year for browns.  15lb test is fine and add a flourocarbon leader last 8 ft.  I run sticks(rapalas, smithwicks, etc) and spoons(nk's, michigan stingers, etc.) off the boards.  Oswego is always a good bet this time of year.  good luck.

First of all it is not being a "bonehead' to ask questions here. Regardless of experience or skill level (charter captains included) we are all hopefully learning from each other here.

bobpugh's info is a great starting point...especially while you are getting used to the new boat and your new equipment. There will always be a "learning curve" attached to the situation but I would suggest taking it slow in terms of your "spread"  of equipment until you get a feel for the boat and your new equipment. The general strategy for Spring browns is to run the lines way back and troll slowly using "s" curves near shore. Use a combination of spoons and stickbaits to start out with and see what they seem to prefer. You might want to start out with smaller stuff at this time of the year. Once you get used to your boat and equipment you might consider lighter fluoro leaders (e.g. 10 lb test) with your drag set lighter accordingly. Just a word of caution regarding going close to shore. The water level has been low for some time and there are below surface obstructions in many areas of the lake and bays in close (boulders, concrete bases of former docks etc.) let your boards do the "exploratory" work close in near the shoreline. Good luck!

Edited by Sk8man

First of all it is not being a "bonehead' to ask questions here. Regardless of experience or skill level (charter captains included) we are all hopefully learning from each other here.

:yes: