Sat night freeze

Strange April eh? I made sure I ran all the water out of my outboard at the launch ramp the other day "just in case"....glad I did now as I can't get my motor all the way down when it is parked here. I also covered the prop as it is in the "up" position so no water gets in. One night at that temp shouldn't do much damage but who's into taking chances with the cost of a lower unit "re-do" :)

My boat is already in the water for the year. The outboard motors are tipped up out of the water at the moment, but I am thinking I would be better off putting them all the way down in the water to avoid freezing whatever water may be trapped in them from running the motor and today's storms. Does that make sense?

Yes and especially so if you have a through hub exhaust opening where the water could sit while out in the air.

I have winter fished Keuka for many years and have had no trouble with my outboards at freezing temps. When in the down position they will drain themselves. Only precaution I take is that when below freezing temps are expected before using again I will put the motor in the down position for 3-4 minutes then start the engine for just a second or two

( to "spin" the water from around the impeller) then by the time I get the boat secured and ready for the road I'll put it up in the trailing position. Been doing this for 40 years and never had a problem.

One thing to watch is to make sure there is no water in the lower unit, if there is considerable water there,from  a bad seal, and it freezes it could split the casing. I had this happen once to a motor, not cheap.