Trolling motor experience with Minn Kota Power Drive V2

youngknight

Hey guys, I have a 19 foot Lund Pro Sport - so a deep v similar to a 1800 FIsherman Lund.  Looking at expanding its use from trolling to a bit more casting/jigging...my son is 12 now and is anxious to do more casting and the like.  So, looking at the Minn Kota PowerDrive V2.  55 lb.  I'll be honest, the two things I like about it is 1. price compared to some of the other models , and 2. small footprint...I don't want a huge mount over the bow.  I may get a quickk release mount so I can take the motor off without much difficulty.

So, anybody with experience with this motor...some mixed reviews out there.  Am considering of looking between the cushions of all the sofas and carseats and upgrading to an iPilot.

anyhow, any advice would be appreciated.

there is a motorguide wireless 55lb used for sale that I'm waiting to here shaft size on, but some reviews have indicated that it is REALLY noisy.  Plus, the digital maximizer on the minn kota is attractive..I only want to go with a 12 volt.

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

minn kota powerdrive v2  :yes: :yes: :yes:

i had a 55lb v2 for 4 years. 2 batteries on a batt. switch. 19 foot bayliner, could troll for 3 days. i now have a v2 powerdrive 70lb 24 volt. bigger boat.

Edited by steelydan

I have one on my 14 footer not on my troller. I like it and bought it due to the long cord to the foot pedal. I can control it from anywhere in the boat. Make sure you have enough shaft lenght or it may come out of the water when its rough. Longer is better than too short or just long enough.

Had a 55# Powerdrive I-Pilot on a 19 Starcraft Superfisherman. Excellent motor, but a 12v 55# motor is a little weak for a 19 footer. With very little wind or current, it should be fine, but once the wind starts, or you are in river current, you will have trouble. I dealt with it due to the lower cost of a 55# motor. It should work okay, but be aware of it's limitations.

Had a terrova 55/12v, it was ok on small lakes. On the big O with my 16foot aluminum boat I could only get to 2mph-sog.

Look for something stronger with more Vs.

Thanks guys.  I was at Bass Pro on Saturday and walked by their boats in the parking lot...powerdrives 55lbs on their 17 foot boats but a 70lb on slightly bigger boat.  Not sure if that is an indicator or not but with what you guys are saying, sounds like I should go to a bigger motor which means 24 v which means 2 batteries...expense just keeps going up!  Yikes. 

My personal opinion, if your planning on trolling with a small motor, bite the bullet, and get yourself a small gas powered engine. 4-6hp.

Forget the electric motor for trolling in the big O. My top of the line terrova with ipilot etc was ok on FLAT lake. As soon as the currents kicked in, or the waves were bigger than half a meter, it was useless.

Also, if your main motor fails, forget of getting to the shore on the electric crap. Small gas powered one will get you there :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was out today trolling worm harnesses with the iPilot.  Someone on here had mentioned that there was two modes for the autopilot feature.  The second mode you get to by holding down the autopilot button for 2 or 3 seconds.  What a difference.  The regular mode always wandered a bit for me.  The second mode tracks amazingly straight.  Just a quick press on the left/tight buttons seems to give you about 5 degrees of course change.

Edited by Miss em

I was out today trolling worm harnesses with the iPilot.  Someone on here had mentioned that there was two modes for the autopilot feature.  The second mode you get to by holding down the autopilot button for 2 or 3 seconds.  What a difference.  The regular mode always wandered a bit for me.  The second mode tracks amazingly straight.  Just a quick press on the left/tight buttons seems to give you about 5 degrees of course change.

The first push of the button gives you GPS auto pilot. With wind and current it's constantly trying to get on back to the original GPS point. Holding the button gives you compass auto pilot. keeps you on the same compass course, but doesn't correct for drift. MinnKota recommends using the compass auto pilot in winds or current.