Youth Turkeys

Emily got her first ever bird this morning.  Really proud of her, freezing out, birds in close, she handled a stressful situation way better than I probably would have at 12 years old.  She whacked this jake at 13 yards.  Hope some others got into some action this weekend.

post-139696-0-83266600-1366544014_thumb.jpg

Wow, great job!!!  Took my nephew out for his first ever hunt and.......30 mph with 40 mph gusts with blizzard conditions did not make for a good turkey hunt.  The kid never complained once and we did see birds, but they were not coming to calling because they could not hear my vocalizations with the wind!!!!   The fact you were successful under those conditions???? OUTSTANDING!!!!!

We tried Saturday in a few spots and couldn't get anything going.  Had a buddy put us on some birds for Sunday.  Got to listen to 12-15 birds gobbling in the valley we were in that morning.  The four near us shut right up after they flew down.  Ended up calling in a couple of hens with two jakes following them in silent.  Wished she could have experienced the rush of having one coming in that was gobbling but maybe next time.  Weather wise, it was definitely the coldest morning that I had ever hunted for turkeys for sure. 

Ok, you got the bird Sunday.....much better conditions.  We were out Sat. in that crap.  I am in the woods at 4:30 am with snow blowing sideways and wondering WTF.  Bed seemed like a better option but I did not want to cancel a boys first hunt.  We did get a good lesson on fidgeting and deer spotting you lol.

went two for two. dad took a buddy daughter out.  bam jake done.  heard the phone ring. seeings I was with he father and brother.  20mn later the big tom  stepped in front at 9 yds.  100% success so far taking kids out.  love it   congrats everyone

So the mentoring has continued with my 13 year old nephew.  Out into the wood we go saturday in the dark.  NOTHING talked all day.  At 6:30 with no dance partner and the kid nodding off in the blind I say ok, lets go make something happen.  Dropping into a deep cut drainage, we get deep into the woods staying out of sight and sound.  Coming out of the cut I begin a slow sneak (ya right..with a 13 year old who doesn't lace up his boots).  Realizing the feet dragging going on behind me I figure I better make the noise sound like feeding birds.  So on we slowly walk while I yelp with my push-peg box call.  We settle down up against a big tree and I continue calling, alternating with two different sounding mouth calls and the push-peg.  I soon hear rustling to my right and I see three gobblers tripping over each other to get to me.  I ready the kid and explain what is going to happen.  Below me is a hen that is moving our way......perfect set-up.  The gobblers come in, see the hen, allowing the kid to move the gun into position, and I say ok shoot when you are ready.  The birds are 20 yards away, and oblivious to the figety boy.  I say again...time to shoot buddy.   I hear him exhale and I wait for the bang.........buddy shoot........and the birds walked to 40 yards and I say nope, can't shoot now.  We sat and watched a three jake display of strutting for 30 minutes just out of range.  Wierd but not ONE vocalization by these birds.  After the hen followed by the jakes fed around us and up to a winter wheat field and the coast was clear....I asked my nephew "why didn't you shoot?"  His remark was "they kept bobbing their head"!  LOL.