4/21 - Yank is out of the ROC, but not without finding Mr. Chinook

Saturday was a blow of day which allowed us to do some work to the ‘Yank’, so when Sunday rolled around the decision came up again. Do we go to left or right after this big blow? An experienced local captain who runs the ‘Hooked Up’ boat simply said in a text the night before “Go West young man.†We were boat #2 out of the Genny, and West is where we went for the first time this season. We set up at Russel Station in 10-15’ of water and headed West. Water was dirty brown from the beach out to 12/14’. We made the decision to slide out to 15-20’ of water and the action began. We had a slow pick from the ponds to Braddocks. To be honest I was getting a little nervous that the fishing was going to be terrible. I should have known better! The last few hours of the day were very productive, but it took getting into the right water to figure that out.

We were running the same spread that we’ve ran the last few weekends. 6 - board lines, our 3 Cannons, and two split shot spoons. Our best stick of the day was a white/chartreuse rogue. Hands down it produced the most fish, but a Rapala J-11 in GFR, and a Rapala J-9 in Chartreuse also took a fair share of fish. On the riggers a Stinger glow cupped frog was consistent. 

One thing we noticed today was the presence of Coho. We landed three of them, but we also saw our first Chinook and Rainbow of the season. We were an Atlantic Salmon away from the Lake Ontario Grand Slam, which would have been really cool for these guys to accomplish. 

The best water was West of Braddock point hands down, and it got clean enough that we were able to slide into 12’ of water by the end of the trip. Well, that’s it for Spring Brown Trout trips! This week we head to Canada to start the 2013 tourney season. I’m gonna miss the little speckled guys, but Mr. Chinook is waiting!

IMG_20130421_075545_zps1cead992.jpg

IMG_20130421_122135_zpsadaa35b0.jpg

IMG_20130421_123912_zps372e3d41.jpg

IMG_20130421_122735_zps3bdf6a8a.jpg

If they are everyone is tight lipped about them. There really is just Spoonpullers to get reports from, and it's been dead so far this year. The Salmon are over there, and the tourney fleet will put a whoopin on them this weekend!

I am glad to see it everything came together going west. There is hardly ever after a good blow in the direction we had, where that doesnt pan out. Leaving early as we all love to do, isnt so much a factor as well. You need the sun to penetrate the mud. I am going to start running again tommorrow, feeling a little better, not much. Good luck in the canuck land, and tell craig to stay away from the peelers.