Port Bay 4/21 - amateur hour

Went to Port Bay yesterday with my 16' tin can, hoping with the lower wind forecast that I could get out on the lake to try out my new (used) downriggers and planer boards, and make my first attempt at the spring browns.... winds seemed to be stronger than advertised though, and didn't even make it out of the chute. Decided to look around the bay for some perch, but the water was real muddy from all the wind the last few days... only about a foot of visibility. I had stopped by the night before, and the waves were crashing over the rocks and onto the road to the launch.... that was something to see!

But anyway, I never got a bite yesterday. Still lots to learn about fishing up there. I thought there is normally a good spring perch bite in the Ontario bays, but haven't been hearing much about them this year. Has anyone been getting them? I did see one boat pulling in fish after fish, and some others along shore catching quite a few as well, but couldn't tell what they were. Crappie maybe?

Ah well, maybe next time. Wanted to at least post a report, as I've been learning a lot from reading all the posts on here. Might try to take a day off and try again before the spring run is over, but I think next time I'll wait for a low wind forecast at a time when the lake hasn't already been rolling for several days beforehand!

Tight lines, all!

Last weekend 2 caught 2 browns in the bay right in the middle and an Sat I caught another brown in the center of the main finger. This early in the year the bay is not a bad option.

I have not done any panfishing this year so no help on that.