Mexico Bay 4/21 Crazy Day

Got launched at Mexico Point about 7.  It was still a little windy but we went after it anyhow. Headed West towards Catfish only running a 4 rod spread with the Lake being so turned up it was nearly impossible to get our planers out. Got about 1/2 way to Catfish and I could see one of our guys starting to turn green. It wasn't much longer and...well you know how this goes. Anyway we picked up our lines and got him back to the truck he said he needed to take a nap for a little while. OK so this puts us at about 9:30 were headed back towards Mexico not a fish in the boat. By this time the lake has laid down enough for us to get our boards out. So we don't get 3 rods out and bang. Nice Brown!!! 8-9 pounder. Keep setting rods. Boom 2 more....3 fish in an hour here we go getting better. Boom Phone call from guy back at truck OK.

Guy: how they biting

Me: Sweet man were 3/3 getting into em.

Guy: I'm feeling a little better, Can you pick me back up?

Me: Yeah, sure we're on our way.

So picked all our spread up motored up and went back to launch...picked up buddy.

Gold Sticks on planers picked up first 3 fish.  So we went back out to Catfish laid out as much gold as possible. 8 gold sticks and spoons. 1 green stick and 1 silver smithwick with the black bars down the side. No fish trolled for 40 min. or so and nothing pulled in the lead core was going to change lures, BOOM Planer rod fires. another nice Brown. This time Silver Smithy. OK put another silver smithy on leadcore.  3 min later doubles on both silver sticks in the water. Wholesale lure change on the spread. Game On!!! Fished another 3 hours in front of catfish in 12-15 FOW anything silver was $$$$. Finished the day 15/21. Had some crazy drops including one that shocked the hell outta me. Remember that Smithy with the black stripes...That baby exploded of the board and we were locked. Fought fish for about 10 min.  We had it right up to the boat once then it ran and ran. And the reason it ran and ran was because it was a King!!! That's right a King and a decent King to boot. On a flatlined Stickbait in 12'ft of water in Mexico Bay during April.  Gotta Love that but sadly to say our leader did not withstand the torrent and we lost that baby. Sorry Folks. But the day was great we caught 14 browns biggest about 13 lbs. 1 walleye (which we released as our mouths watered). We'll get our chance for revenge in a couple of weeks on that guy.

post-149287-0-34751300-1366678602_thumb.jpg

post-149287-0-00396900-1366678614_thumb.jpg

post-149287-0-38477600-1366678626_thumb.jpg

Good job on staying with the color changes.

Those Kings are always fun on light tackle.

Yeah had him right up to about 6 feet from boat and then he decided he wanted to be 106 feet from the boat...I'm afraid that run is what did in the leader.

You were too understanding to the guy who got sick...we'd just throw in the front of the boat.. and keep fishing..(even if he's the captain) until he said "uncle" right Admiral Byrd? :lol:

Edited by Sk8man