A gasoline rant

This is just a topic starter for a problem Ive had lately. Well more or less since the temps have been going up and down. Probably since September.

Its trying to buy good gas.

We cant seem to keep the chainsaws running . Hard starting ,wont idle,over rev quit ,spit ,no power, pull and pull just one thing after another. We've decided its the gas Ive run preminum ,regular, tried all the brands switched mix oils everything.

I now take three saws to work and Im usually down to one by the end of the day. Husquavara the best.

Well the reason I brought it to this board is I wonder what kind of problems we are going to have with our marine engines? IMO opinion the new gas is crap.Both my pickup and car have dropped over 5 MPG.

{toyota tundra,honda accord]

My Yamahas on the boat seemed to run just fine last yr .I sure hope they

get this gas situation squared away by fishing season. Last thing we need is engines quitting with a full spread back . Not to mention the price we are paying for the gas.

Anyone else having gasoline problems?

Styx....where are you filling up?????My Tundra is just fine and so is Cyn's . Rav 4.Yesterday,I trolled for hours with Huntfrisco and his Honda kicker ran flawlessly.We've all read the horror stories bout ethnol....maybe its finding to the southern tier.Lets hope that it all works out before April......Zeke(Strike 3)

i been noticing that sometimes when i get gas at sunco and mobil gas stations. my gas goes alot faster. when i gas up at kiwck full or gulf, gas tends to last longer. last yr i got some bad gas in pulaski and my boat keep quiting on me made for a short trip. went in chaged the fuel filter and got new gas from a different station and problem went away.

The problem might be oxygenated gas. I know some larger cities use it starting fall to spring to lower emissions. I had the problem in Baltimore years back adn took my truck in and had diagnostics done.

I was told it was because of the gas and to expect up to a 25% decrease in milage. Soon as they changed back to regular gas my milage came back.

Just returned from a Florida trip in my motorhome, 3,000+ miles on the odometer. My 460 Ford which previously gave me 7 MPG has dropped to 6 MPG and with the higher prices, ouch! That will be my last excursion like that. It doesn't seem to make any sense to add 10% ethanol to the gasoline and have the MPG fall off by 14% that we can save on gasoline use. And we have to pay more for it.

oxygenated gas

There are currently 39 regions required to use oxy gas. It is unclear to me if the pump must specifically say the gas is oxy gas but it must say if the gas has any type of alcohol mixture in it (oxy gas).Look on the pump and see if the gas either of the following in it: ethanol/ETBE , methanol/MTBEIf either is present chances are it is oxy gas. The maximum percetage currently allowed is 10% but ther has been talk of raising the limit to 20%.The article in AutoWeek mentions all kinds of potential and actual problems that can be attributed to oxy gas. Some of them are hard starting, stalling, hesitation, incresed instances of vapor lock and corrosion of older engine parts. They also mention that gas mileage is decreased.<<<<< (by John Auer: [email protected])Thanks to Harry Sidhu and Edward Bernard for their replies. The concensus seems to be: 1. Oxygenatated fuel is mandated by the EPA in states where pollution is a problem. Smog dissipates less quickly during winter months, and the emission systems operate less effectively as well, due to the increased warmup times. Oxygenated fuels produce less emissions, helping the problem. 2. Some gasoline suppliers will deliver gas to "regions", not "states" where the EPA has directed them to use such fuels, to make shipping easier. 3. Oxygenated fuels can cause rough idle and hesitation problems because of their chemical nature; this, of course, isn't news to those of you using them...<<<<<(by John De Armond: [email protected]: edited)It is not marked on the pump but the slightly sweet, vaguely ether-like odor of MTBE is distinctive once you've smelled it once. If your gas smells like something other than gasoline, it probably contains MTBE.MTBE-laced gas provides less mileage than unadulterated gasoline for the same reason any other oxygenate such as methanol or nitromethane does - it carries some oxygen within its structure and that oxygen displaces a combustable atom in the molecule. If no changes are made to your engine, you will likely experience a lean-related loss of power. However, if you're willing to retune the engine, you will recognize a bit more power just as you would by adding a few percentage points of nitro. Of course, you mileage will get even worse. In effect, EPA is using a byproduct effect of hotrod fuel to (allegedly) achieve their goals.

Many of the gas stations around me in SE Pennsylvania are now supplying fuel with 10% ethanol. It's getting harder and harder to find straight 100% gasoline. I have noticed in recent months, my Expedition has started losing gas mileage and it's started running poorly every so often. I've been told it's all because of the ethanol in the gas and the older engines weren't designed to run on the stuff. Last year, the boat ran pretty well, but I also changed out the fuel/water seperating filter 2x to stay ahead of the game. I always filled-up in either Port Ontario or Pulaski. Will be interesting this year if more and more stations have strictly these blended fuels for us.

• 1 month later...

Fishstix I was just talking with my brother about you and your chain-saw problem this morning and looked this post back to see how you made out. Was the small filters plugging causing your problems ? What did you do to get your saw ready for the next day ?

Thanks for any help because he will be gearing up for wood cutting soon.

Ed

Hey guys, I have a question and nobody seems to know the answer. When there is E10 in the tank at the filling station are they required to have a sticker on the pump that signifies E10? I've asked the cashiers at multiple stations if that's E10 and they give me a dumb look and shrug their shoulders. I know that Sunoco has stickers on the pump but others don't. I avoid Sunoco 'cause my mileage drops noticeably with that darn E10. The last time I topped off at a Quick-Fill the fuel smelt like paint thinner. I wonder what the marinas are going to have in their tanks this summer. I believe that 4-C's had ValvTech in the tank last season.

Not only do the gas prices tick me off, what the heck is with the credit card purchases shutting off at $50.00? 50 bucks got me 15 gallons tonight. I was going to fill it but the pump would not reset and it ticked me off. What suv or pickup doesnt take 25 gallons or more? Between the boat and the Expedition, I will be making several credit card swipes just to fill them up. Our economy is in a world of hurt.

The problem is, if you aren't full and run your card though a second time right away, that flags a potential risky transaction with the credit card company. More than once I've gotten a call a short while later from the cards security people making sure it was a legitimate charge. Nice to know they are keeping track, but really a needless PITA. If the transaction is pre authorized , why should the station care what the total charge is.

Tim