Fluorocarbon leaders or what?

If you are using 20 lb mono for main line I'd use a 10 or 12 lb test fluorocarbon leader if you are fishing for browns as it will work OK for other species as well on Lake O.  People who specialize on browns use the lightest leader possible in the Spring especially in close when the water is clear I've even used 4 lb test  in the past on the Finger Lakes but you have to have a little experience with the lighter lines and drag settings to be able to do it right. If you're into fancy knots I'd transition it that way but I use a very small barrel swivel to combine the lines and then a very small black ball bearing swivel (solid ring type only) for spoons and replace it with a small black duolock snap or Fast snap for stickbaits.

The new thing I am trying this year is using a Tadpole Diver between the mainline and a 8' lenght of 10# fluro (leader) then I can run spoons off of the boards with and weights or knots. Had a good hit with one Sunday running a Sutton 44 off the boards.

post-144884-0-60710200-1366740658_thumb.jpg

If you are fishing clear water, especially down where your name suggests, I would go maximum 10lb flouro leaders. If your rods will allow you to go smaller when it gets clear and really tough fishing 6-8lb test flouro leaders are almost a must. The 20lb mono will float your lures a little higher, which is nice if you have to get into 4-7' of water to get to the BTs. 

Is fluorocarbon a must? No but it will make the difference in boating more fish. Especially in clear water or when the fish are just finicky. No matter what my mainline is, I leader them up. 10-12# typically. I use a Spro #3 barrel swivel to connect mainline to about 12' leader of fluorocarbon and a duo lock snap at the business end. 

I like a rod length or less. I don't like the thought of pinching a splitshot on my lighter leader. I also don't want the chance of the swivel catching on an eye if a fish makes a run at the boat. Yes the tiny Spros pass thru the eyes fine but you never know.

• 1 month later...