FIshed out of Sodus today.  There was a hard south wind so we started on the shoreline for browns.  It was CRYSTAL clear and quite cold still (warmest I found was 44, mostly 42-43).  I ran 6 flatlines off the boards with 12 lb floro leader waaaaaaaay back (100-150) and used both naturals and bright stuff.  Nothing.  Why has the brown fishing this year been mediocre out of Sodus?  I didnt hear of a single brown this am on the radio?!?  I know that the conditions werent ideal today, but jeeze...  I trolled from the lighthouse to past east bay with nothing to show, so I pointer her north...

We got to about 110 and I saw some stuff on bottom, so down went the cowbells.  For about an hour it was very steady fishing for lakers, all extremely fat and happy.  The laker population seems to be VERY healthy!    Most of the fish were in the 7-9 lb range.  The fish were mostly in the 120-140 depth just a mile east of the channel.  VERY good fishing to be had if anyone is interested in slime balls.  After striking out on the shoreline I was more than happy to catch anything, even lakers!  After about an hour of dealing with a south east wind and a west current and building seas, I called uncle and we went in. 

Fortunately I think we got most of the engine issues figured out so we were happy about that.

I get that it is spring, but ENOUGH with the wind!!

See you all out there saturday I hope

Abe

had the same results in the same area yesterday on the shoreline. found cloudy water, temp changes, bait and birds but no fish. covered alot of water. pretty disappointing. think i saw you running out for lakers. talked to a charter captain fishing the same area yesterday and he didnt get a single fish on the shoreline. gonna give it a rest til something changes. it can only get better! best, mark

nice Abe.....I am glad to hear. I am wondering if browns are staying close or are they already starting to work slightly deeper water and munching on gobies. Especially on a south wind when water goes so clear!  Good to know Lakers are there for the taking if needed!

Jay

Hey Abe you're kinda hard on the poor old lakers aren't ya (slime balls)? :)  Enjoyable report....hope we have some sunny warm weather soon to get the water heated up and things moving....

Yeah, lakers have their place. It's great to have a fallback plan, that's for sure. The quality is great and they actually fight a bit this time of year...

I was just disappointed that I couldn't get the brown bite going in April, this is the time to make it happen! I will definitely try the 15-25 range next time out to see if they moved out a bit