Well, we fished out of sodus again this am.  Conditions almost exactly the same as the other day to start- south wind, flat calm and crystal clear water with no color to be found.  I heard of a fairly reasonable coho bite in ~20 FOW on the edge of the mudline yesterday, and armed with the knowledge of my strike out on the shore tuesday, I motored a few miles west and started in deeper water.  we set up at 6:00 am with our usual spread of 6 planer board lines with between 0-2 split shot and 2 riggers set anywhere from 5-25 down. I worked 10-30 FOW with a variety of bright and natural colored plugs, small and medium sized spoons, and after about 2 hours i had ZILCH to show for it!!  I heard of maybe a half dozen browns being caught by the entire fleet, unless someone was really holding out on me....

SOOOOOOOOOOOO, i pointed north and TROLLED out this time.  The 30-70 FOW area was a barren wasteland, but as we crossed into the mid 80s I saw a few marks deep.  I threw down one cowbell on one rigger and spoons on the other to see what was down there.... Surprise surprise, I found lakers.  In fact, I found lakers from 90-130 FOW from boller to the trailer park for the next 3 hours.  There was no serious accumulations of them, and no particular rhyme or reason, they were just spread out and aggressively hitting everything in sight. 

WE put a serious hurting on them today.  I know, lakers arent sexy, but honestly I think I am done feeling bad about catching them.  We averaged a fish every 10-15 minutes and over a dozen of those "cover the boat in fish crap" slimeballs hit the deck in just a few hours.  To top it off, today we got into some piggies!  I set a new boat record with this toag, a 21 lber!  Oh if only the derby started this weekend...

There was a few scattered marks down 30-40 over 100-120 FOW that seemed very interesting to me, so I wonder if some salmon will start to show.  Either way, I think what we really need in sodus is warm weather and some good NW wind for a few days to get things straightened out!

post-143448-0-10968200-1367108901_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdebadts

Im new to Sodus. Fished for years with my brother and father out of Henderson. My son(8 year old) got hooked catching salmon last year so i got a boat and ill be fishing Sodus hopefully for years to come. I teach so i plan to fish a lot this summer and will post when i do.

I only had a few hours and watching the posts passed on even trying for browns. Started out from the lighthouse at 90 feet...started catching lakers at 100-120...then it shut off at anything deeper. So made some passes and landed 7 in two hours all on cowbells and glow peanut. Color didnt seem to matter much like you said. Going out next weekend...looking forward to being part of the Sodus crew.

We found the same thing out of Sodus yesterday, except that we didn't dare go further out than 40 fow or so in our 16'. We were marking a few fish, but it was so clear that we could see bottom 20+ feet down, and got no hits. It was our first time getting our new boards and riggers out, though, so we chalked it up to a practice run. Once the wind started picking up, we headed back into the bay to try to find some perch, also to no avail. We'll figure this thing out one of these days...

Duane

We headed out deep early on Sunday aswell after not moving a rod in the first hour and a half, and boy we were glad we did! Went 11 for 11 on Lakers and one sweet 20# king! Most action on flasher and fly some on uv mag spoons. Thanks for the great report from the prior day it really helped out!

Hey ridge runner, I dock right next to you at krenzers, I have the 24 foot white and blue four winns- look forward to talking to you next time I am down! Glad to hear you found a salmon, I was wondering if some of the higher fish Might be salmon. I had a cowbell down there so I didn't bother changing for the last hour or so though. Next time i will try a flasher.