Mexico 4/27 slow day

Started out with a run to the west, set up just before catfish at ~0645 out in ~25 FOW to stay out of the traffic while setting.  Within 15 minutes the first rod fires on a yellow and black stick. Small Coho.  Thinking it is going to be a good day.  Went until ~1230 w/o another rod moving.  Spoons and sticks, boards and riggers from 7 FOW to 30, WST from 42 to 49. Didn't seem like there was too much catching going on on any other boats yesterday either.

We were there Friday afternoon and Saturday morning ,and had nothing both days,tried west Friday,and east later Friday and Saturday ,marked more fish but nothing. Giz

Friday pm we got one laker, and a laker and smallie on Sat near Catfish.....Nada today till 11am from Mexico to Salmon River, then pulled them and headed home

had the same problem yesterday afternoon out of Sandy Creek in Hamlin.  Windy but out of the southeast so the waves weren't bad.  Thought we'd manage a few and all we got in three hours was a single hit that gave one shake & was gone.

Fished Friday morning,set up at 9am. Rod fired approx 9:30 (1) 19lb king on 8 lb test with a brown trout net (small). That was it pulled about 12pm.

Saturday morning same time 1 small laker, pulled 12pm.

Didn't bother to fish Sunday morning,packed up and headed home

Out of Catfish Creek.

Bill

Edited by rapala

What's up with Mexico this year?

I think the lack of small "cookie cutter" browns is a big issue. I have only been out 1 time this year (Oswego) and all our browns were in the 6-10lb. range. From all the reports I have seen, the majority of the browns caught are older fish.

Did they cut back stocking last year?

It looks like they will be stocking less this year.

"Severe, disease related losses of brown trout at the NYSDEC Rome Hatchery in 2012 will impact 2013 yearling stocking statewide. Current projections suggest a 27% reduction in the number of brown trout yearlings stocked into Lake Ontario (reduction from 385,000 to 281,000)."

Broken steering cable had us land-locked this weekend, but heard the browns in Oswego were a slow/tough bite, and the charters were putting their clients on the lakers, FWIW.

We fished from the Mexico launch to the plant: 7-30 fow. Didn't move one rod. Stopped to untangle a snag...wrapped the prop. And got towed in. :(

Was that you on Sun am offering the $100 for a 1/2 mile tow to the launch??

Nope, we got towed back to the little salmon by boat usa towing. Luckily I signed up for that last year.

How much time did it take for them to show up......I also signed up for BoatUS unlimited towing but have never used it yet (knocking on wood)

We heard someone on channel 69 looking for a tow 1/2 mile out of Mexico Point but were too far east (above Pulaski) with a full spread of drowning tackle :yawn:

How much time did it take for them to show up......I also signed up for BoatUS unlimited towing but have never used it yet (knocking on wood)

We heard someone on channel 69 looking for a tow 1/2 mile out of Mexico Point but were too far east (above Pulaski) with a full spread of drowning tackle :yawn:

Took Bernie about an hour to pick us up at the plant. But he was home mowing the lawn when they called him.