First trip of the year this past weekend Fairhaven

First off, I would like to offer a sincere apology to anyone who was out east of Fairhaven that may have had a bad encounter with us this past weekend. There is a learning curve in traffic with the boards out and we did some bonehead moves. It was not intentional and we will learn from our mistakes and move on.

Had far to travel friday 4/26 so didn't get the boat in and fishing until about 2 PM. We fished 8-10' of water and went 4 for 7 6lb average and dropped a few bigger ones with a 4 1/2lb smallie thrown in. Brown sticks all off the boards.

Had some issues and got a late 9AM start Saturday and fished the same water. Went 2 for 5 on browns right off the bat then nothing... East wind, clear water, bright sun... we stuck it out after most boats left but it didn't pay.

On the water Sunday at 6AM in the same water, same spread, only had a few knockoffs to show for it. Full moon, clear skys, clear water, bright sun, and all that. Went looking for better water and found it when we had to leave.

Over all, a great weekend!

I had a feeling Sunday was going to be slow. Saturday did seem productive. But when I saw the clear water if figure it would be slow. Lets see what happens this week. My first trip will be soon but it looks like its setting up nicely water wise...

First off, I would like to offer a sincere apology to anyone who was out east of Fairhaven that may have had a bad encounter with us this past weekend. There is a learning curve in traffic with the boards out and we did some bonehead moves. It was not intentional and we will learn from our mistakes and move on.

Had far to travel friday 4/26 so didn't get the boat in and fishing until about 2 PM. We fished 8-10' of water and went 4 for 7 6lb average and dropped a few bigger ones with a 4 1/2lb smallie thrown in. Brown sticks all off the boards.

Had some issues and got a late 9AM start Saturday and fished the same water. Went 2 for 5 on browns right off the bat then nothing... East wind, clear water, bright sun... we stuck it out after most boats left but it didn't pay.

On the water Sunday at 6AM in the same water, same spread, only had a few knockoffs to show for it. Full moon, clear skys, clear water, bright sun, and all that. Went looking for better water and found it when we had to leave.

Over all, a great weekend!

Was it you that hooked boards with my friend Paul in the 20' Sea Hunt "Dolby Dog"? Did you end up on the beach? I was watching. Heavier seas could have resulted in a very dangerous situation.

I learned long ago that the boat traveling east along the shoreline has the right of way and the boat traveling west should yield. The nautical "rules of the road" dictate that vessels meeting head on should pass PORT TO PORT.

I'll pass your apologies on as I don't think he's a LOU member. Thanks.

Edited by polecat

I was there also, but was heading west towards the chute and didn't witness it but heard about it later. My advice to anyone is take a basic or advanced course in nautical navigation its worth it so these things don't happen. I don't know if you were the one I was giving 2 short horn blasts to ( which means I am changing course to port to port) and the person just kept coming at me changing directions and I kept signaling but the person decided to cross right in front of me at the last minute.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me nervous. I have heard stories about lake O during peak salmon times when you are basically trolling along with 50 other boats in the same area. This to me is intimidating. I would most likely bail out of there and look for less populated water around the edges until I became comfortable out there. are there any "unwritten rules" from all of you experienced guys out there that us newbys should know about?

Edited by Adk1

I don't know about "Unwritten Rules", but the one I try to live by is treat other boats as you would hope they treat you. Not always the case though. If you ever fish in front of the Salmon River in the fall you will for surely have an incident or two :muscle: . The googans will be out in full force then! Other than that time of year most everyone you fish along side of in Mexico Bay anyways will be curtious and helpful:)

Dave

Hello, all.

No, we did not lock boards, or anything like that. A larger part of the "learning curve" I was referring to is that if you are new to having boards out in traffic, it is difficult to judge how much time it takes to actually change course and bring the boards along with you. It takes WAY longer than you think at first! We unintentionally ran our boards too close to other boards in traffic. We are always trying our best to be courteous out there on the water and be safe and will do better. Thanks for all the input! If I see any of you at the marina, I will stop and say hi.

Tight lines.

I heard about it, its no big deal. You just got a little too close is all.  As you see boats coming your way just look for the planers and stay wide from them. You will be fine, ive seen much worse.